• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Pre-Deluxe A-25 Steering Clamp Failure

Albin's "power cruisers"
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eastern Washington State

Pre-Deluxe A-25 Steering Clamp Failure

Post by Desertboater »

Everyone that has not replaced the plastic steering cable clamp in their A-25 should inspect and plan on replacing it as soon as practical.

I did not follow tribologist's strong warnings to inspect / replace the original Albin plastic steering cable clamp in his two posts on steering clamp failures:

Pre-delux steering failures rash in Sweden...
http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... 28&t=12645
2020-08-03

and

Bad geometry of steering cable mount, failed clamp
https://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtop ... amp#p72790
2018-08-26

Luckily our steering cable clamp failed just as we were pulling into the slip. A strong gust of wind blew the bow off course and the resulting rapid rudder correction with a burst of throttle were the last straw for the clamp. A review of the broken clamp leads me to believe it had cracked some time in the past. Since it is below the starboard rear berth with its many small brass screws, inspection has not been on my list - even on my post-winter ready to go list.

This problem has been reported as far back as 2009:

A-25 Steering Knuckle & Ball Replacement Parts
https://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtop ... ing#p14444
DaveP
2009-02-03

Updated information on replacement parts:

SeaStar Solutions (Teleflex) SA27578P Inboard Clamp Block Kit
Available from Amazon, West Marine, etc. for about $100 - $110.

Albin Motors in Sweeden has a nice machined clamp for 1,000 Swedish Kroner (about $110) plus shipping. Part No. A-212582

Paraphrasing DaveP's post, the original A-25 steering cable is a smaller diameter than the new cables that fit the SA27578P clamp, so you need a bushing in order for the clamp to tighten on the original cable. A simple, short length of clear plastic tubing with a length wise cut in it did the trick for my installation.

dkirsop used the SA27578P clamp with the original A-25 standoff. Tribologist fabricated a clamp and shortened the standoff (bracket with the ball end) by 1 1/8 inch.

I have two questions -

1) Is shortening the standoff required?

2) The boat is in the water at a dock where many shorepower cords dip into the water and there are numerous warning signs about the danger of electrical shock when swimming, thus making it difficult to see the rudder orientation. What would be the best method to adjust the steering cable to have the rudder centered when the wheel is centered?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Desertboater
Albin 25 - 1971 originally with AD-21 engine
Repowered with Beta Marine 25hp
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: Pre-Deluxe A-25 Steering Clamp Failure

Post by nebulatech »

Do you have a swim platform or dingy? Perhaps something like a hockey stick (or a couple of narrow boards screwed together, near perpendicular) would allow you to feel the rudder's position?

I have a deluxe, but tomorrow I can snap a photo of the inside armature with my rudder aft, just to help you get close.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

I think i have images that help centering. Its not that important to get it perfect and you can adjust later.

You don’t need to shorten it. It just make it a bit more symmetric and it eleminate the binding ant the end
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Sorry for the mess, hope it helps!
20210725_094257.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

nebulatech wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:43 am Sorry for the mess, hope it helps!

20210725_094257.jpg
Is yours a pre-delux? Rudder arm looks different than mine
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Here are some images.

The cable replacement as a whole kit is marginally more expensive than the new block from Albinmotor. I reworked my ball joint and clamp. The tube and the clamp is a bit expensive but you can use the aluminum version. I made my own with a 3/4 tube welded to a 7/8 threaded portion and that allowed me to bore out my fancy Ultem clamp so i could reuse it.
Last edited by tribologist on Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?na ... id=1054937

This kit has all the parts to convert it to a modern cable steering arrangement.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Tribologist, mine is a deluxe.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

nebulatech wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:11 pm Tribologist, mine is a deluxe.
K, then you are most likely blessed with a modern ball joint steering. All the deluxe I seen images from has the ball around a grooved tilt tube.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Mine is DeLuxe Superdupercalifrag....too. Just ordered the 4 bolt replacement found on ebay.

I have the original threebolt plastic unit that looks good as new in place. Considering the rough water and seastates we have encountered, a failure there would make a bumpy docking maneuver look like nothing. I am thinking of the following seas that were faster than we could go where I ended up surfing and doing my best to not turn sideways on the downhill ride. Losing the rudder on one wave could have capsized us. I'll be replacing the old plastic knuckle this week.

This thread is worth the price of admission to AOG (go buy a hat or a burgee, now) and makes wading through everybody's rambling pontifications (mine notwithstanding) but a mere trifle.

Thanks for all the links and pictures.

Desertboater, have you figured out the centering thing yet? Just went out to inspect mine on the hook this am and it occurs to me that if you just run the rudder, disconnected from the steering cable, stop to stop, then calculate neutral...half-travel, then do likewise with the wheel, (cable at half travel point) you should be centered. Fine tune it later, if necessary.

The WillieC was horribly uncentered for the first little while we owned her. The PO pointed it out, scratched his head and said something about lefthand prop and Jupiter aligning with Mars. "Guess it just turns left (or right, I forget) easier." Boat still drove, we managed to turn both directions but left a lot of room for the maladjustment and fixed it after oldest son pointed out the problem while sitting on the trailer. New boaters....sheesh.
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eastern Washington State

Post by Desertboater »

Everyone - Thanks for all the information and photos. Always great to see how the A-25 community can help solve problems.

Since our steering wheel turns smoothly, I am not going to change the steering. Ours is the original car wheel steering wheel and Teleflex cable system.

The clamp is on order and should get here by the end of the month.

WillieC - I think your idea of centering the steering is the way to go. I was going to ask a friend to tow the boat to the ramp where we could pull it up on the trailer - this would allow the rudder to be perfectly centered. But that can wait till winter - your way is good enough for this season.

I'll post the results of the installation and adjustment once the clamp is here and installation is complete.

The value of this forum is exceptional - donation sent today.

Change of topic - if you have an interest in A-25 technical issues and problems solved, the Albineers of British Columbia have a pdf file of "A Collection of Technical Newsletters and Technical Reports from 1977 to 2000". This was compiled in 2001 to consolidate all this great information. For example in 1979 Elasomufflers were beginning to be an issue. Some of the info is out of date (Loran system) or over come by events, such as repowering (lots of AD-21 info) but there is a lot of useful info as well.

http://www.albinbc.com/technical/documentation
Desertboater
Albin 25 - 1971 originally with AD-21 engine
Repowered with Beta Marine 25hp
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

DB, on fourteenth thought...the rudder may spin 360 without a cable, at least until the tiller hits fiberglass. My suggestion could be less than helpful. I'll try to get a picture of center today and hope it is in time to be of any use to you.

Tribologist's pix may show left and right limits, hard to say. PM me if you need me to stop cleaning the shop and row out to the boat. (Ping me, please!!)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Ok, kids. This is serious. Check your steering knuckle, NOW.

This has been one of those things to do, like the Eblasto-mufflers, that kept being put off.

The WillieC is the Super Duper DeLuxe...but I suspect they came out with the fancy metal plates before they used up all the Mark I parts. 1973 vintage...1585 ish? I can never recall the number...
IMG_3878.JPG
IMG_3874.JPG
IMG_3870.JPG
As mentioned by the real experts, use a rubber hose to make up the 1/4" diameter difference. I was also able to re-use the existing knob and bracket, though it may have a little slop in it. Not at all noticeable to me. We'll see how it drives. Without the fancy dan auto-pilots some of y'all have, you won't notice the difference between the drunken, texting teenager at the wheel and my potentially loose ball. HA!

Here is how mine measures for set up.
IMG_3876.JPG
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Would you consider sending the broken one to me? I did not keep mine and i was thinking making a printable version
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I will consider it. I'd like to hang onto it for some kind of object lesson but you may say I'm a dreamer...

BTW I fixed the access issue.
IMG_3879.JPG
When I converted the aft cabin into port:costco, stbd:westmaroon, removing the whole piece of plywood became a bit of a project. Now at least I can watch the powder coating fail at my leisure.

BTW, and no small way at that, thank you fellow AOGers for bringing this issue to our attention, along with the steps to repair it. The part came yesterday noonish and the repair done by evening, including emptying the space, removing the shelving structure, making the access hole and painting it, and putting it all back together. Tonight we will be celebrating the Starfleet Commander's retirement with a dinner cruise to one of our local establishments. Hope it all holds together. Something I risked for far too long.

And thank you John Collins for hanging in there with us. This whole experience makes all things AOG worth the price of admission. Now I need to check the store for more AOG swag.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”