• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Minor Water leaks

Albin's "power cruisers"
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

A27 Minor Water leaks

Post by Ambler27FC »

I have a fantastic opportunity to stay on my A27 in a hard rain today. I have been trying solve some minor water leaks. Water appears on the outboard kitchen counter and also in the cockpit area under the boards at the deck/overhead seam. This year I removed all of my windows and ports, epoxied the cores and reset to try and solve the issue. No luck.

I now suspect the overhead/deck joint or hull/deck joints. Any thoughts on diagnosis or fix? Water leaks can be tough to trace.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: A27 Minor Water leaks

Post by DCatSea »

I've just (I hope) solved a small "hard rain" leak in the aft cabin. Had to put in new marine ply round the stbd ports, and while at I rebedded the aft railing. Several storms later all seems well, so now I'm in the process of renewing the headliner etc.
For'd cabin is dry, with one minor exception. There is a very small "one drip per minute" leak, again in heavy rain, in the companionway. I believe this to be originating in the joint between the wheelhouse and the hull. My next task is to clean out this joint and reseal it, and then route and steam-bend a one-piece white oak facia (appropriately stained and varnished) to replace the existing very tacky 3-piece.
You are welcome to come and see the work in progress next time you head to Annapolis via Deale. (Not much to show yet in this task, but progress will be made)
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: A27 Minor Water leaks

Post by Ambler27FC »

Thanks Doug. I just might take you up on that offer when you’ve got everything pulled apart. Heading North on the rest of my trips this year - the wide-open southern bay has treated me roughly three times already.

I got my aft cabin 100% dry last year by removing all the ports, repairing the cores, and resetting. Also repaired the core and re-bedded the back rail. It took awhile to figure out because the water rarely shows at the problem area. Had hoped for similar luck up front after doing the cockpit windows and fwd ports.

The hull/liner/deck joint and wood trimmed joint between the cockpit and overhead seem like tougher fixes and would be nice to know before taking on either job. Both look good to the eye. A definite fix would be to glass over the joint, but could be messy with my skill level.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”