• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How much chain should a 27 carry?

Albin's "power cruisers"
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Re: How much chain should a 27 carry?

Post by REO »

I looked up the weight of 5/16 chain. Seems like 50 feet will weigh about 55 pounds. I'm surprised that 55 pounds takes the bow down an inch. I can live with that, but I think I will not take on more than 50 feet of chain. I need to find a supplier that will sell the chain, rope, and do the splice to 8 plait, so it will go through my windlass smoothly. I live in the middle of nowhere, so this will have to be a mail order deal. Any suggestions.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Defender Industries (a marine discount supplier) will do the splice if you buy the rode from them. They did an excellent job when I ordered mine. I asked them for a cutoff piece of chain about 8-12" long to confirm the fit to my windlass gypsy and they shipped it to me for about $8. When the rode arrived, it was a perfect fit and works well. I did the same for my 50' trawler about 20 years ago. Ben
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Post by REO »

I like Defender, and paid to get the annual discount price. Didn't know that they did splicing. Thanks for the tip.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I had Defender put my last two boat's rodes together both with chain to 8 plait. First class and zero issues passing the splice through my windlass on either boat.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”