• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What are the differences between the A25 motor cruiser and motorsailor?

Albin's "power cruisers"
ben2go
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Poseidon's Lair

What are the differences between the A25 motor cruiser and motorsailor?

Post by ben2go »

I'm looking at a 1970 A25 motor cruiser. I have the idea of adding the sailing option to the boat. I don't know if there are any differences like hull shape, keel ballast, and stuff to offset the sail rig. I'm 100% sure I can rig the mast and sails on her. TIA.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Re: What are the differences between the A25 motor cruiser and motorsailor?

Post by Dieselram94 »

As far as I know, the hull shape and keel are all the same between motor sailer and motor cruiser. There was a hull change I believe starting in 1973 and those were called deluxe but that had no effect on the sail rig. Early boats stepped the mast close to the windshield and the delux ones stepped it further ahead. I know at least the deluxe version with sail rig also got a compression post in the forward cabin that included a table on it.
ben2go
Mate
Mate

Post by ben2go »

Dieselram94 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:01 pm As far as I know, the hull shape and keel are all the same between motor sailer and motor cruiser. There was a hull change I believe starting in 1973 and those were called deluxe but that had no effect on the sail rig. Early boats stepped the mast close to the windshield and the delux ones stepped it further ahead. I know at least the deluxe version with sail rig also got a compression post in the forward cabin that included a table on it.
Thanks. I've researched it and can't find any differences. I'd hate to assume that there wasn't if there was. My idea is to put a Chinese Junk rig on it and convert the V birth area into a head/galley area similar to the 27FC. The aft cabin would be my main sleeping chamber.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

It's a matter of semantics. Motorsailer is the same hull as 'motorcruiser', just with optional sail rig added. Junk rig would be interesting. In the 25 the aft cabin quarterberths are quite narrow & extend under the cockpit bench seats on either side, total length 6 ft. The rest of the aft cabin (3 ft front to back) is strictly sitting headroom. The keel such as it is, only tapers downward to 2.5 ft draft the last 5 feet or so & has no added ballast weight. The 'motorsailer' is a motorboat with added sail, not a sailboat with added motor.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
ben2go
Mate
Mate

Post by ben2go »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:42 am It's a matter of semantics. Motorsailer is the same hull as 'motorcruiser', just with optional sail rig added. Junk rig would be interesting. In the 25 the aft cabin quarterberths are quite narrow & extend under the cockpit bench seats on either side, total length 6 ft. The rest of the aft cabin (3 ft front to back) is strictly sitting headroom. The keel such as it is, only tapers downward to 2.5 ft draft the last 5 feet or so & has no added ballast weight. The 'motorsailer' is a motorboat with added sail, not a sailboat with added motor.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Junk rig would be interesting. Junks were traditionally pretty flat bottomed with shallow draft. They are also supposed to be easy to sail. I'm quite enamored with traditional junks..

Keep in mind, the A25 doesn't have a self bailing cockpit. And yes, aft cabin is sitting headroom only.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”