• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Where to locate engine anti-syphon loop- 27 sport boat

Albin's "power cruisers"
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Where to locate engine anti-syphon loop- 27 sport boat

Post by REO »

We are installing a new Beta Marine 50 in our Albin 27. The old engine did not have an anti-syphon loop on the engine exhaust cooling system. I find these things very trouble prone. The check valves often stick open or closed. I solved this problem on a previous boat by removing the flapper from the valve and running a clear tube from the top of the valve to an area a few feet above the valve. The open tube could not stick closed, and I could see the water in the tube.
Where is the anti-syphon valve on other owners 27's. Has anyone run a tube from that valve to stop the valve sticking problem? Where can I run the tube to get enough height to keep the water from spilling out? A photo of the anti-syphon on a beta engine in a 27 would be very helpful.
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Re: Where to locate engine anti-syphon loop- 27 sport boat

Post by REO »

Looking at the installation manual more closely, it may be that I don't need an anti-syphon on the exhaust. I think the engine is far enough above the water line to be safe. Maybe that's why one was not installed on the old engine.
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

I installed a Beta 50 in 2019, I also gave much consideration to the use of an anti siphon valve but finally concluded it was not necessary due to the height of the mixing elbow above the waterline. I also considered the height of the wet exhaust muffler outlet and its relation to the height of the mixing elbow. The outlet is below that point so my working theory was that if a siphon did develop and water filled the muffler and started to fill the hose going to the mixing elbow, the muffler outlet would let the water flow out the long sloping run to the transom outlet before it flooded back into the engine.

Anyway, I possibly overthought the situation but we've got about 140 hours since the install with not issues at all. No anti siphon valve installed.

Hope that helps and best wishes with the project!

Let me know if you run into any issues along the way and are looking for advice/council. There are now a handful of members who have made the upgrade to the Beta 50.
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

I installed a BETA 50 2 years ago. My interpretation of the install manual was that the siphon valve was for (sail)boats with a much lower installation. I did decide the extended exhaust riser was needed. 300 trouble-free hours so far. But I can’t say I’ve reversed into a strong current, which I think might be the biggest test.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”