• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rear hand hold idea needed

Albin's "power cruisers"
DonC1956
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Rhode Island

Rear hand hold idea needed

Post by DonC1956 »

Own the typical 27 with canvas rear enclosure. Going aft at my age is a challenge without anything to hold onto. Anyone ideas? Straps, or something more permanent?
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Rear hand hold idea needed

Post by tego »

Don, If you have a good bimini frame, you can get a single hold Stainless grab rail and mount it to the bimini frame up near the top, wherever it correctly spans the bimini frame bows. I've used this on my old sailboat as well as on this 27FC. It can stay in place without the side curtains if you leave the top on over the summer. Ben - another old fart owner.
DonC1956
Mate
Mate

Post by DonC1956 »

It’s a solid frame and what your saying makes the most sense. The side panels stay on most of the time. One on each side get rolled up when under way and doing that doesn’t expose any part of the frame. By taking the second panel out on one side I could attach a hand hold. If attached with large knobs I could swing it out when under way and back when closing it up. Will take pictures if it works well(Late June). Thanks for getting me thinking in the right direction. Don
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Don, On both of my boats, the handle was attached thru the top fabric. I re-inforced the fabric at the hole and used a fender washer between the fabric and the frame and between the fabric and the handle. I never had a problem with the fabric tearing or distorting and it didn't leak. Ben
DonC1956
Mate
Mate

Post by DonC1956 »

there is a good canvas guy at the boat yard. Sounds like the way to go. My fear was leaking or ruining the integrity of the fabric. I love how tight it is when a t-storm kicks up. Man I love this boat. The hand rail would make it so much safer. Thanks, Don
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Sounds like a smart solution. You might move quick - the canvas folks seem to get busy in March/April with sail repairs and canvas replacement. Best to hit them off-season. My curtains are single stitched and are water-tight. I think good reinforcement might be your main watch item.

If you have an aft cabin, an alternate solution might be a zippered hatch out the back where you have good hand rails. It is a little less dignified though. I've thought many times that I would trade a little bit of cabin head-space for wider walking paths on the outboard.

With a certain amount of spare time and gumption, one of those Sailrite or similar sewing machines will pay for themselves very quickly.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”