• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Vetus muffler installation

Albin's "power cruisers"
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

A25 Vetus muffler installation

Post by Burton »

Our initial experience with this installation has been great. The last two boating seasons we had a straight exhaust from the riser out to the exhaust outlet below the waterline. It had a low spot in the middle—not good. And it was miserably loud. This season I measured and found we had enough vertical distance from the riser to the waterline to install the new Vetus system.

This system includes a horizontal muffler then a vertical gooseneck muffler, then to the (relocated) outlet just above the waterline. The installation is made easier by some range of rotation of the connection points.

This required enlargement of the pass through at the aft cabin— there was just enough clearance for a section of 6” PVC pipe, epoxy and glassed in. The horizontal muffler fit nicely, slightly sloped forward for winter drainage. We wrapped the muffler with marine grade sound proofing from Defender.

The gooseneck muffler is installed at the starboard side midway between the muffler and the exhaust outlet.

We used double “T” clamps at each connection and leakage was happening until the clamps were tightened more than I would have thought necessary— the plastic connection ends are very slick. We also installed the Vetus exhaust temperature alarm. We plan to add a temperature gauge as well.

Now, the only sound at idle is the sound of water exiting—a sort of soft “whooshing”. At speed, the sound out the back is so far reduced as to be almost negligible.

Last year, the harbor master asked what size engine was in the boat. When told “…a 40 horse Yanmar”, he shook his head, saying, “I can’t believe that much noise from a 40 horse”. It was only idling. What a difference!
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Re: A25 Vetus muffler installation

Post by Dieselram94 »

Any pics of the install?

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”