• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

“Slow Motion” serving humble pie

Albin's "power cruisers"
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

“Slow Motion” serving humble pie

Post by Burton »

With new impeller, new exhaust system, new bottom paint, new chartplotter, new Bimini, freshwater tank with new lines, new soundproofing in engine box, and new wiring almost done, it was time to take Slow Motion (A25 Deluxe) out the 25 mile run to Swan’s Island to vacation a week.

On a previous post I was proud to report 12 knots WOT by GPS. This was with an over pitched prop that lugged the 40 HP Yanmar 3JH3E. Got the prop re-pitched and the engine would do rated RPM at WOT. Sadly, boat only did 10.9 knots WOT.

We loaded up for the first time taking the boat more than a few miles… towing the 10’ Avon RIB, full fuel, full water tank, two coolers of food, two anchors, British Seagull long shaft outboard, gas can, stuff for family on Swan’s, several gallons of drinking water, etc..

Alas, at WOT we topped out at 8.9 Knots! Aargh!! Humble pie. No longer able to hit rated RPM, we were 50 RPM under! (That’s still fairly close.) Seven knots was the sweet spot for cruising. After boating for many years I should have expected this. For some reason I thought we would not be so affected by weight. The humble pie tastes okay, but we prefer blueberry! Well, we didn’t get an A25 to go fast—been there, done that already.

Oh— first night it poured about 2”. After plugging nearly every hole (117) in the deck (see Marine How-to) with epoxy and re-drilling, then Bed-it butyl tape… oh, and new windows/seal fore and aft…we still had two leaks! Easy to find, dripped right on the Admiral’s bunk..,. (Yes, we improvised.)
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: “Slow Motion” serving humble pie

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

7 knots is still pretty good. Our early model full displacement hull with 24 HP, loaded up as you say for cruising, tops out at about 6.5 knots at 2,350 RPM, sans head winds & currents. Plus your 40 HP engine is 4 HP over the standard 36 HP VP MD17C. Does the stern tend to "squat" any at full power? Unlike a planing power boat your hull doesn't have trim tabs to adjust. How much weight in your aft cabin? Consider limiting the amount of weight stowed in the aft cabin if you use it for luggage etc like we do. Perhaps some of that dripping could also be from condensation inside the cabin. As for window seals, the culprit is usually where the two ends of the rubber strip meet.

Last summer on our final night docked at the marina in Liverpool NY on Lake Onondaga it poured cats & dogs like you describe. Enough to raise the lake level by 6" overnight. Which helped make it easier to haul out without risk of backing the trailer past the end of the ramp concrete. But was enough to saturate & leak through seams in our Sunbrella canvas cockpit enclosure and a few drips & condensation in the main cabin. So don't feel too bad. 2 inches of rain is a lot. Kind of weather that prompted us to cut our Eric Canal transit short & not go any further eastbound than Syracuse.
20210815_160154.jpg
20210819_102640.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

If the boat was squatting at WOT we didn’t notice— we were making a big wake, and so perhaps we were. I do know the feel of a V hull that has not yet come up on plane, and there was none of that feeling of being stuck in a hole pushing the water. I had the back cabin loaded with about 150 pounds of gear. Last year I didn’t have the bow freshwater tank working and I think having it full this year helped the trim significantly. Now to get the seawater foot pump replaced— it is shot.

Nothing like a lot of rain to find leaks! No, it wasn’t condensation. I think it was entering at the windshield screws— just about the only ones I did not re-do. Yes, the fore window is leaking at the tiniest crack at where the ends meet. My, I thought we had that so tight.

We got socked in with fog, too. The chartplotter can keep us on course, but it would be good to see the other boats. I think radar is in our future, but mounting it is a big question mark.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

For small leaks, try Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. I've had really good luck with it. You have nothing to lose by trying it. We had water dripping from a screw on the trim ring on an overhead hatch. Up on the foredeck, I used Captain Tolley's on the sealant at the hatch ring. So far so good. Knock on wood.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

Thank you— We have never heard of that product. Certainly sounds like it’s worth a try!
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

You're welcome, and good luck! Captain Tolley's is one of my all-time best finds.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”