• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Would you do the Loop in an A-25?

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Would you do the Loop in an A-25?

Post by NickScheuer »

We have friends on their second circuit of the Loop in a modern 40-footer, this time clockwise after doing it counter-clockwise. This time they're heading toward a new home in Florida. I've read a couple of guides and am familiar with the Looper website, so I'm not exactly new to the idea, however, I doubt that Gayle and I will be able to reorganize our lives to do it ourselves. The thing is, I really like everything about our DuNORD, but others in our Rockford Power Squadron Chapter have opined that an A-25 is too small to be a suitable vessel. I think they simply do not understand the capabilities of these marvelous boats. What say y'awl?
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Re: Would you do the Loop in an A-25?

Post by Burton »

Desert Albin, we are waiting to hear from you.😊
Ed422
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dundalk, MD

Post by Ed422 »

That's the long (3-5 year) goal for my A30.

According to the logs, it has done it already.

Ed
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

I have never done any part of the loop but from the many trip reports that I have read it can be done in almost any boat but my personal opinion is that they might be too small to deal with other boats wake, especially those areas that are relatively tight like Dismal swamp. In those tight areas there is no where to go if un-believably some bigger boats are not heeding the “no wake” zones and invariably you will get rocked out of your helm chair!

Unfortunately these days there are many new boaters out there that have no clue what their wake is doing or how large it is or the boater ultimately doesn’t care about the small boats that get rocked by their giant wake. Don’t get me wrong, there are many good courteous boaters out there but they are far outweighed by the bad.

As far as the A25 goes it would be easily capable of going pretty much anywhere within reason.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I barely understand the capability of my small A25. After almost ten years of cruising, I am much more comfortable with it. Still I do not seek out trouble just to make some kind of point.

Know your boat, know your water, study your weather, know your contingencies, know the comfort level of all on the boat. Adjust accordingly. I look back on our first dream of making a multi-day trip shortly after we first acquired das Boot. We were green, think Kermit. First step was to see what the boat was capable of. Not much when we found oil in the heat exchanger instead of antifreeze and oil dripping from every nook and cranny. This was after a short run of higher rpm anticipating crossing ferry lanes. The PO said to keep it under 1650. With reason.

Etc...with each category listed above. I would leave for Desolation Sound tomorrow knowing what we know now. What are YOU comfortable with?
Ed422
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dundalk, MD

Post by Ed422 »

ssrig wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:46 pm

Unfortunately these days there are many new boaters out there that have no clue what their wake is doing or how large it is or the boater ultimately doesn’t care about the small boats that get rocked by their giant wake. Don’t get me wrong, there are many good courteous boaters out there but they are far outweighed by the bad.
When I brought my boat home (Long Island to Baltimore), there were a few places where the "go fast" boats were over the top, Manasquan Inlet was right up there. But the worst, was coming thru the Cape May Canal and the Coast Guard boat that just buried the throttle about 30 yards behind me. There in the canal, there was no way (or time) to head into the wake. My phone and coffee went over. The boat was fine.

Ed
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

I think it is really on you - what you want. The boat can do it. There might be extra weather delays on larger waters, but a delay can be fun too.

Some people call walking 10 miles into the woods and pitching a tent in the middle of nowhere camping. Others park a camper next to a park restroom/shower facility and call it camping. Both are right as long as they are happy with it.

Have you taken the boat out for a week or two at a time - anchoring out at least half the time? I have imagined this is what it is like, but with a lot of repetition. The body usually adjusts after a few days. If you can sort out all of your grievances then it is a go!

Most people I’ve spoken to do the loop over several years. Do a section and find a good spot to store for the winter.

The yahoos mostly seem to be near the ports and inlets - the folks doing longer stretches are generally very respectful. With a slow moving boat I spend a good bit of bit of time developing nicknames for inconsiderate boat captains using words that will not leave my head. Takes the sting off of it.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Note to all: Not asking for myself. The DuNORD would depart Chicago next Spring in a heartbeat (late Oct being too late for 2022 embarkation) were our situation different. I consider our Albin-25 a fine vessel for such an adventure. My question is intended merely as a poll of the cognoscenti.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Apologies after re-reading your post. Let us know what you need for your discussion. I would advocate for the small minimalist boat.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

A25 is fine for most anything except speed.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

One of the founding BC Albineer members did the loop over 2 years. Started and finished in Lake Michigan near Chicago. He was my vice-principal back when I was in Grade 9 (I am now 71). I think he had one of the first A25's imported to BC.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The Loop is not on my radar. That stretch of the Erie Canal last year was enough for me. Apologies to triboligist, but frankly canals and rivers are boring IMO. No sirree, it's the Pacific NW for me, with hopes to return to Desolation Sound & maybe the Broughtons next summer. Right now La Dolce Vita is laid up for fuel tank overhaul, cutting in access plates to clean the inside & repaint the bilge area underneath it. That's slow going because other interests have been encroahing on my time lately.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

"it's the Pacific NW for me".

yeeeaaaahhh. Spoken like a true mossback, you almost had me convinced.
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Post by Burton »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:19 pm The Loop is not on my radar. That stretch of the Erie Canal last year was enough for me. Apologies to triboligist, but frankly canals and rivers are boring IMO. No sirree, it's the Pacific NW for me, with hopes to return to Desolation Sound & maybe the Broughtons next summer. Right now La Dolce Vita is laid up for fuel tank overhaul, cutting in access plates to clean the inside & repaint the bilge area underneath it. That's slow going because other interests have been encroahing on my time lately.
I am intrigued reading this. The allure to do the Loop or the Erie canals has been on our bucket list— well, mine. (The Admiral is happy “cruising” no further than 3.5 hrs to see family on Swan’s Island.) Here we are on the stunningly beautiful Maine coast and I want to go where it may turn out to be boring? Hmmmm. Going to have to think on this!

Still re-wiring is not yet done on Slow Motion. The raw water sink foot pump was split open from the PO… just got a new one….winch cable end broke on haul out…. Tied it on to get boat on trailer..,,, cutting down three big pines to make winter storage room for the Albin….. etc
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

"Boring"is an interesting subject. It takes us two days to get out of Hood Canal on the water. But we get views of the Olympic mountains that are stunning, if it is not raining. We go under the ends of the floating bridge, past the nuclear sub base, try to avoid the gunboats with the 50 caliber guns, get in water over 800 feet deep. And it is somewhat boring...it's all in our heads! We're on the boat.

The Starfleet Commander wants to rent a slip over near Bremerton for the summer months. My counter-argument is that that will be when we are on the boat and gone to the Gulf Islands or Desolation Sound or just to see friends in Canada, or if w're really down on our luck, the San Juan Islands! What's a couple more days on the boat in a glacier carved fjord?

The coast of Maine must be gorgeous. Can you make it to Newfoundland or whatever else is up there? I want to see fifty foot tides one of these years.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”