• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Heavy engine box

Albin's "power cruisers"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Heavy engine box

Post by hetek »

I like the seat idea. Very slick. Hey, I still have the bench seat from my A27FC. Hmmm…

If I were to cut the box I would use a right angle grinder with a thin cutoff disc, like 1/16” thin. Very dusty but quick and, imo, easier to get a straight line than a jig saw. I have a tendency to waver too much from the line with a jig saw on straight cuts. Almost no chance of chipping gel coat with the grinder too.

Use what you’re most comfortable with. A metal cutting blade for the jig saw if that’s your choice (as opposed to a wood blade). The scoring idea sounds like it would help prevent chipping.

I took off an outer skin on a 1977 24’ Penn Yan’s transom (to repair balsa core rot) with the grinder/disc method.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Here’s a picture!
51C29385-6D56-4DB2-8455-8722684685C9.jpeg
I used the yellow DeWalt for the transom job.
The air grinder with the cutoff disc would work too. A Formica scoring tool like WillieC mentioned is at bottom.

Now I gotta get my tools off the kitchen counter before my wife gets home!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

At least you have the option of partially opening the box without too much gymnastics to check oil, etc. On the early pre-de luxe full displacement hull version one has to a) unless you've modified the seat to a fold up like dkirsop did you have remove the driver seat completely & set aside on top of the aft cabin deck or elsewhere out of the way, b) swing open the hinged panel in the forward cabin bulkhead (because in the early models the box protrudes 4 inches or so into the main cabin), remove the first floorboard panel aft of the engine (because of the stepped design originally made to accommodate the 2 cyl AD21 engine), c) undo the tiedown latches at the front of the box, and finally d) lift the box up which is hinged at the back end. Conversely one good thing about that is you can easily access the front of the engine (alternator, fan belts, raw water pump) from inside the front cabin.

In this photo you can see the stepped design of the early pattern engine box.
DSCN3673.JPG
With the box opened up you get this. Note that the stepped box necessitated mounting the new engine as far forward as possible, which also allowed room to add the "Aqua Drive" thrust bearing/DV joint coupling. That makes for very quiet & almost vibration free running even at 2,400 RPM. The main drawback to a 24 HP engine propelling a full displacement hull is that top speed is limited to 6.5 knots.
DSCN3674.JPG
La Dolce Vita was repowered by previous owners with a Yanmar 3GM30F which has its oil dipstick located on the starboard side of the engine. So said previous owners cut in an inspection opening on top of the box like this. My engine instrument panels only has idiot lights, no actual gauges, so I can check engine temps by opening this inspection port & aiming a laser thermometer at the heat exchanger.
DSCN3424.JPG
They took the part that was cut out & glued a piece of marine teak veneer plywood to it so it could be dropped back in place. The antifreeze HX expansion tank is placed outside of the engine box so it can be checked & topped off as needed without opening up the whole box. Also shows how part of the engine box extends into the main cabin. Shifting the engine box a few inches aft to eliminate the need for the swing panel in the bulkhead is one of the main differences between pre-1972 & later models. Note that the part of the box that's above the cockpit floor ends even with the front end of the starboard bench seat. This photo was part of the documentation of a project to install a 20 gallon holding tank for the marine head which necessitated relocating the batteries to make room for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I used the yellow DeWalt for the transom job.
The air grinder with the cutoff disc would work too. A Formica scoring tool like WillieC mentioned is at bottom.
I used a similar 4" pneumatic angle grinder to make inspection plates for my recent fuel tank overhaul project
20221107_111308.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”