• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Volvo MD17C rebuild

Albin's "power cruisers"
Fredstraw1
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Campbell River

Volvo MD17C rebuild

Post by Fredstraw1 »

Hello all. I have a 25Deluxe with the md17c. Purchaced the boat with the engine in an unknown condition. We removed the engine and have taken to a reputable rebuild shop for evaluation. I am unsure if the volvo will be salvageable. If not I will be looking for a good replacement engine that can be installed before I put the boat up for sale. The hull/interior is in super condition. I guess my question is will all the work be worth it or am I better off to sell her without power?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Volvo MD17C rebuild

Post by WillieC »

Having someone rebuild the green monster will not be cheap. Ask stxray.
Neither will replacing the engine, even with a used one.

Maybe the engine will check out ok, but all these oldies need attention.

Years ago I found a new in-crate MD17C in SoCal that was purchased years prior for a sailboat replacement engine. I recall the asking price of $6500. Too rich for my blood and the owner would give no info about its preparation for longterm storage. It could have been a steal, but it still would have been a 50 y.o. engine. You'll never get back whatever you put into your engine situation unless you got the boat for dirt cheap.

Maybe after an honest assessment from the engine shop, you cut your losses and offer it as is. These old engines can be resurrected and done by an owner with modest skills and tools and a place to do it. It only took me three attempts to get it right.

Interesting conundrum.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Well, from what I can make out from the photos, which admittedly always look better than real life, this boat seems to have a lot going for it in general conidtion & what looks like some good interior restoration work. The swim ladder & split swim platform looks very good. The exterior looks really good except for lacking a hard top or canvas cockpit enclosure. It also looks some sort of mods were done re-routing exhaust outlet from the transom to the starboard quarter. The photos don't show any cushions in the forward or aft cabins, so if those are missing that's an expensive item to replace.

Building on what WillieC said, my question is why are you talking about selling it? Was it purchased with "flipping" it for profit in mind? Or was it purchased for your own use but have since changed your mind? Have your financial or health circumstances changed for the worse? In either case it's hard to imagine getting back more than you paid for it, or at best breaking even recouping your purchase price. In which case if keeping Mystic for your own use is not in the cards then cutting your losses by putting it on the market as is might be your best bet. If keeping this boat for your own long term use and you have the resources I'd go for repowering with a new or lightly used engine, prefably a Beta/Kubota if I had my druthers. But be forwarned, an Albin addiction can rival that of crack cocaine or meth in terms of financial drain. Granted the rewards are better in terms of memories generated. But compared to a new pocket size tug or trawler like a Ranger or Nordic an Albin 25 or 27 is like comparing a old style VW bug to a Mercedes 450SL.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Fredstraw1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Fredstraw1 »

Hello Desert Albin 736! So here is the story... I did purchase Mystic as a project with the engine in an unknown condition. The hull and interior are in very good condition, and does have cushions in the vberth but not aft cabin. There is no canvas which was fine for me as being in the Pacific NW I intended to fab an aluminum one anyway. Took the MD17C to a very reputable engine rebuilder. It appeared to be a good candidate for a rebuild. Compression was good, bore scope looked great. So I had the injectors rebuilt and fuel pump sent out. They flashed her up and one hole would not fire properly and was runnjng cold. Pulled the jug, two of the four rings were siezed. Cleaned up piston, replaced rings and honed cyl. Still ran like crap in that hole. Swapped injectors, swapped head...still won't run properly in that hole. Rebuilder said that the governer not working properly and getting worse with every start. He has no more options to offer says she's parts now.
While this was all going on my son/partner saw our dream boat parked in someone's yard. We made an offer and they accepted. I don't need two boats so we are going to sell Mystic.
We are thinking about a complete teardown of the md17 in our garage ourselves. It doesn't make sense why it won"t run. I am looking at repower options, but really don't think that I want to put a beautiful new engine into that lovely boat and then sell it!
Maybe someone on our site that has had similar experiences can offer some help with the md17c. Any help or advice offered would be greatly appreciated!
Fredstraw1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Fredstraw1 »

Oh and...After a lifetime of unabashed boat love I am very familiar with the financially abusive addiction that they are! But I am hooked!
Fredstraw1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Fredstraw1 »

Oh and...After a lifetime of unabashed boat love I am very familiar with the financially abusive addiction that they are! But I am hooked!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

"Compression was good, bore scope looked great."
"two of the four rings were siezed. "

Sounds contradictory to me. Thankfully I haven't had any governor issues. Yet.

Have you actually seen fuel spurting out of the bad hole injector...at least the line when it is disconnected or loosened from the injector? If it has compression and fuel, it should light off.

You said you sent out the fuel pump. Was that the lift pump or the injector pump? If they sit long enough, they will gum up. A stuck piston or leaking seal in the injector pump will not deliver fuel to the injector. Also, be aware that the thickness of the gasket under the injector pump determines the timing, when the injectors open.
Fredstraw1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Fredstraw1 »

Hello Willie C! So this is all info i recieved from engine guys. We are going to have to confirm all this ourselves unfortunately. If you are willing I would totally appreciate your input as we investigate further. We have yet to pick up the engine from the rebuilder. My son will be spearheading the project as I will be working away. Time is on our side, I am in no rush to get thru this so we are going to be very thorough. Your experience with this engine would be very valuable so if you are willing to help us out I will be most greatful!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Sounds good to me. Not sure how much help I can be but we hope to get to Desolation Sound and Chatterbox Falls this summer. Don’t discount what the local wrench is saying. Way smarter than I am, but just curious. These old engines can be worthless or a great learning experience. With no guarantees. Local knowledge is priceless.

Myself, I’d want to get that engine running in my shop so you know what you have. This is before you tear it all to shreds. That way you can see what else is in need of attention. Like don’t you know your oil pressure.:.and a million more questions.

Get a shop manual, drag the engine back to the shop, learn all you can from the mechanic about the governor. (Fresh water cooled with heat exchanger or seawater cooled?). We’ll be in touch.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

WillieC is your man for all things VP MD17C related. You name it, he's been there, done that (and a few things he might wish he hadn't ;-) ). I wish I could say we'd be up your way this summer, but alas some health issues with the Admiral preclude all travel this summer. Closest we've come to Campbell River was Desolation Sound back in 2018 in which we & WillieC came from Blaine, WA up through the Gulf Islands to Comox and bee-lined it from there across the Strait to Grace Harbour & spent two weeks in and around Desolation. Suffice to say we sure miss it.
DSCN4457.JPG
DSCF3610.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”