• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Pilothouse Window Replacement Source

Albin's "power cruisers"
SkipRocks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

A27 Pilothouse Window Replacement Source

Post by SkipRocks »

Has anyone installed new pilothouse windows on the A27? There is a thread on here from 2015 that I contributed to. My wood frames were in bad shape and as many of have experienced... all of my windows and portlights leaked when I got the boat. Anyway, I ended up making new window frames from LumberRock which is an HDPE composite product. Eight years later so far so good and the intense Florida sun hasn't caused any issues. Having said that, I originally got the idea from another boat that was in my marina - he still has the boat but said his window frames started breaking down after about 10 years and he had to have new ones made. This summer will be year # 8, I thought I'd plan ahead and maybe get the jump on it. I also have another reason to address windows this year - I really didn't do as good a job on the two sliders as I should have and I intend to rectify that directly. I thought it might be a good time to take care of all of them.

There are a couple of people on here that identified Wynne Enterprises in Tuscumbia, AL. I spoke to them and they don't have a record of having made any for an Albin A27 - or at least don't have a record of having the templates. Anyone know of another firm making them? I do know that the Left & Right front windows are not square, but I'd have to take mine back out to get the actual dimensions. Anyone have the measurements? I'm also going to keep the center window an opener - there was some discussion about that before - we need that air flow here in Florida.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: A27 Pilothouse Window Replacement Source

Post by DCatSea »

In a similar vein, does anyone know how/where to get replacement side window glass for an A27 wheelhouse/pilothouse. Ours are not quite OK; one is cracked, and all are kind of ratty-looking. Any info. on how to get hold of side windows would be appreciated.
ALSO - the track that they slide in. Ours are definitely in need of replacement.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Ratstar32
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Bourne, MA

Post by Ratstar32 »

Hi all,
I'm (slowly) rebuilding a 1985 Albin SC. I've been searching this site for information on replacing the side windows. I think replacing the glass is relatively easily done from local sources here in MA. However, I can't find any detailed information for sources of replacement parts. I probably don't know what I'm doing, but I can't find anything on the Pompanette site either...?

I do see where the metal tracks are no longer available. I've dissassembled both windows, and find that the metal tracks are ok, but all the other inserts are crap.

So a couple of folks have recommended simply replacing the sliders with a single pane. Other than lack of fresh air flow, any pros and cons on this idea? I'm in Massachusetts so I don't think high temperatures are an issue.

I've also been looking at the Boatwerks site, but from what I can tell there's no detail there either? Please excuse me if I've missed something on either site, and let me know where to look?

Thanks much for any advice!
Ratstar32
Deckhand
Deckhand

A27 Pilothouse Window Replacement slides

Post by Ratstar32 »

Eureka!

I'm sure that anyone searching for A27 side window replacement parts info on this site and/or the Bomar/Pompanette site have been stymied by the unavailability of the aluminum channels that hold the glass panes in place. I was even thinking of simply using a single pane of glass.

But in searching the Boatwerks website (motorcityboatwerks.weebly.com/the-boat-workshop.html), and also the Youtube site (https://youtube.com/@motorcityboatwerks), I came across this link to a substitute channel that seems to me to be much better than a metal extrusion (https://www.beckson.com/channel.html). Some sites (e.g. Defender) indicate the Beckson white channel is 92 inches long, but the Beckson site indicates all colors are 8 ft. long. For the Albin 27 SC side windows this would require three of the 92 or 96 inch sliders. My cabin top is white, and the item number for the white extrusions on the Beckson site is CH-2.

I hope this info is helpful to other Albin 27 owners!
Ratstar32
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Ratstar32 »

Just to close the loop, the Beckson window slides worked perfectly. The slides are thin, and the glass windows are quite close to each other, so there is no gasket necessary between the two panes.

In addition, plastic stick-ons work well as grips to slide either window open.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Re your current window frames from hdpe, did you replace if not you can paint the plastic with a good oil based paint ( or other paint for plastic) and that will hold up well being stable compared to wood and the paint will protect from UV.
Cheers Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”