• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Fwd bilge pump setup on A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
homesteady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

New Fwd bilge pump setup on A25

Post by homesteady »

One of the small projects off the list this spring: replace automatic bilge pump with higher GPH pump, add separate water-activated switch, replace too small corrugated hose with proper 1" bilge hose.

Here's what I ended up doing. I figure some folks here might find this setup helpful and/or interesting for their own systems.
PXL_20230407_195940381.jpg
PXL_20230407_195951639.MP.jpg
The pump is a Rule non-automatic 1100 GPH. The switch is a Water Witch Bilge Switch 101. The combo fits nicely in the compact forward bilge and wires right up to my 3-way auto/off/manual rocker switch. The hose ended up only being about 6' with minor lift. First test had the bilge clear in about 8 seconds. Overall my bilge stays very dry but this is nice peace of mind for those rain storms when the boat is in the marina or the potential for taking any waves into the cockpit if we're ever in bad seas.

The Whale manual pump in aft bilge really keeps the whole boat dry when there's an arm available the pump it. I worry about that pump if I really needed it. Has anyone rebuilt one? Mine leaks a bit and sounds like it's sucking air even when it should only be sucking water.

On to the next projects. Happy spring and cruise planning!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Alex
Albin 25 No. 1583
"Sandcastle"
Bellingham, WA USA
Pacific Northwest
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Re: New Fwd bilge pump setup on A25

Post by Burton »

The tough thing that I found for the forward bilge is getting a bilge pump that is narrow enough. I wound up putting in a separate float switch in order to get a narrow pump.

Yes, rebuilding that pump is not a big deal (that is for the aft bilge.). Ours was not working at all. I had tried to fashion some valves out of innertube, they simply aren’t thick enough to work.

We had an event due to my not getting a hose clamp tightened—that could’ve been serious. Thankfully, I just happened to check the engine compartment. I am now installing a bilge alarm for the engine well and the aft cabin area under the exhaust. The way our boats are, we can have a lot of water in the boat before it’s evident.
homesteady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by homesteady »

Burton,

That's a good point. Yeah it takes a lot of water before anything triggers the fwd pump. Part of Per's ballast calculation maybe? What are you using for the bilge alarms?

Also with the way these boats roll in a chop the floor in the main cabin is wet if there is almost any water in the fwd bilge.

I'll look into rebuilding the manual pump. Thanks for the tips!
Alex
Albin 25 No. 1583
"Sandcastle"
Bellingham, WA USA
Pacific Northwest
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Is the tube under the engine pan clear? Never needed a forward bilge pump on the WillieC.
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pedrogao Grande, central Portugal

Post by realslimshady »

WillieC wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:20 pm Is the tube under the engine pan clear? Never needed a forward bilge pump on the WillieC.
I was going to say..... :?
On the same subject- Lydia has started collecting water under the fuel tank, and I haven't been able to find an obvious route for it to escape into the bilge, is there one?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Yes! At the forward bulkhead of the fuel tank compartment, on the engine side, there is a tube about 3/8" internal diameter that runs forward to the area under the galley sole. You should have an access board to that area. Lifting the board exposes the inside of the hull above the keel.

Water runs from this area into the tube under the engine, about 1" diameter (.0000254 kilometers, if I moved enough decimal spaces). The tube from the fuel compartment also drains into this area under the galley sole. There is a corresponding tube on the starboard side of the engine, unless some moron gooped it up while installing robust battery supports in the compartment to starboard of the engine. Don't ask, don't tell.

There may be some kind of drainage plan in the aft end of the fuel and battery compartments, but the lay of the hull tends to move liquids and bilge detritus forward.

So, Portugal? I guess this means you won't be over to help me clear the starboard tube...
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate

Post by realslimshady »

ok. I'll have to take another look. I've spent a fair bit of time with my head down that hole- I had to use my little oil extraction pump to empty the area and couldn't see anywhere that the water could escape, blocked or not.
I shall investigate and report back.
Sadly, can't help you with your glooped up tube. I have a large lake here to explore!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Yes. There should be a tube under the engine. The aft end comes out right above the shaft in the muffler compartment. Maybe some of my epoxy migrated...
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Question is, how is water getting into the bilge space under the fuel tank & where is it coming from? The engine bed is seperate from the bilge to contain oil, fuel, and/or raw water pump leaks unless the latter leaks enough to overflow into the air vent holes. But water collecting under the fuel tank, or worse fuel leaks, as WillieC explained ends up in the main bilge/keel sump.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

The forward water tank is suspect. Also the anchor locker and any associated hause pipery. The anchor pulpit often was installed before proper bedding was invented. Any other deck penetrations for windli (plural for windlass).

Here's a good one. The hanging closet on the WillieC suffered from delamination along the lower edge of the plywood. Water was dripping down the inside of the hull, from a failed window gasket, along the outside edge of the shelf on top of the closet. Some of it managed to pool on said shelf, ruining a small collection of boaty literature tastefully displayed thereon. Same water continued its downward path until it reached the secret recess under the head sole where the infamous tuna tins had been stashed. You'll have to look for the rest of that story.

Fortunately, there is very little coring on these mighty vessels. Poorly bedded fittings mainly result in frustration chasing down the sources. Take your time reading Marine-How-To for proper bedding procedure. Your stocking feet will appreciate traversing the galley sole in the middle of the night while staying bone dry. Or so I've heard.
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate

Post by realslimshady »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:05 pm Question is, how is water getting into the bilge space under the fuel tank & where is it coming from? The engine bed is seperate from the bilge to contain oil, fuel, and/or raw water pump leaks unless the latter leaks enough to overflow into the air vent holes. But water collecting under the fuel tank, or worse fuel leaks, as WillieC explained ends up in the main bilge/keel sump.
My guess is the cockpit side window. I had to replace it as some kind soul lobbed a rock through it, so it's now 6mm perspex, but I'm not sure how effective the seal is, and maybe rainwater is running down the sidewall and into the tank compartment.
It's certainly only manifested itself since the window was replaced.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

"Water was dripping down the inside of the hull, from a failed window gasket."

Bingo! Maybe?
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

I use this guy in the rear bilge. Been thinking adding one in the front too. https://defender.com/en_us/whale-supers ... bilge-pump To drain the last water out of the rear bilge I use a cheap aquarium pump https://a.co/d/0E3bQvK To keep it bone dry I drape a towel so it goes down to the bottom and wicks the water out.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”