• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Live aboard a 27' aft cabin?

Albin's "power cruisers"
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Re: Live aboard a 27' aft cabin?

Post by JFOkie »

Jon, great pictures! I like the extended cabin top. It would be nice if you could add additional pictures as they become available.

Regards,
John
"Nirvana"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Will do.

The lastest report is that the major construction phase is done and the roof is complete. Now it's 'glassing time!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Sinced you asked...

The owner sent me this recent picture of the interior, now in the finishing stages. Remember, his Albin started life as an aft cabin family cruiser model. He kept the original opposing bench seats in the cockit - now the salon. Add the obligatory oriental rug (doesn't every trawler have one?) and his boat will be about as "live-aboard" as an Albin 27 can get.

You could argue that by keeping the aft cabin in-place you would gain all that extra interior room. He had no choice - it was already gone when he bought the boat.
Interior View.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
rcor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Post by rcor »

We stayed in the Ft. Myers Municipal Marina a few years ago and there was a family of four who lived aboard an A27!! It can be done. Good luck.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

We haven't had our A-25 out on a real cruise yet, but several folks have opined thatshe would ideal for a Great Circle. That of course would require a bit of time. Condidering the extra capacity of an A-27 compared to mine, and considering that an A-27's is probably equal to a 30' sailboat, for which living aboard is not unusual, I'd say "go for it".
Mandalay
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Port Ludlow, Washington USA

Post by Mandalay »

Getting in a bit late here. I have a 27 FC in Puget Sound. I use it weekly as a remote apartment. Mine is unique with an installed "Alaska Bulkhead" making for an enclosed pilothouse with a HiSeas diesel cabin heater. I use it year 'round for living and cruising. Full canvas enclosure. With the heater on Medium and the door open the cockpit is warm. On sunny days solar heats the enclosure. I could easily live aboard. I bought an inexpensive Haier AC refrigerator ($85) for food and blue ice freezing for the double insulated cooler icebox. I use an oil filled portable heater in the lower cabin. Would be happy to post some photos if anyone is interested. The design is well found and I enjoy firing up the heaters, opening the bulkhead entry door, and sitting in one cabin with a view all the way to the other private cabin. In a 27' boat. Amazing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by Mandalay on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binford
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Port Orchard, WA

Post by Binford »

Mandalay wrote:Getting in a bit late here. I have a 27 FC in Puget Sound....Would be happy to post some photos if anyone is interested.
I'm always good for photos! I saw a couple shots of Mandalay before, but apparently not very detailed ones as I didn't even realize you had the Alaska Bulkhead.

Looking forward to seeing it in person too as I've got my eye on a 27AC for a few years down the road. (Gotta get the kids through school first....)
-- Tim Taylor
1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 I/O
1982 Glasply 16' runabout w/ 2-stroke 50hp Mercury O/B
Quiet admirer, and possible future owner, of an Albin 27FC
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

I second the photos, please.

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for Albin 27 modifications.

Wait a minute... Was the Alaskan Bulkhead offered as a factory option on a 27?
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
Bonbon
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Camden maine

Post by Bonbon »

IMG_5687.JPG
Bonbon
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Bonbon »

IMG_5677.JPG
Bonbon
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Bonbon »

IMG_4977.JPG
Bonbon
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Bonbon »

IMG_6107.PNG
Bonbon
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Bonbon »

IMG_5583.JPG
Bonbon
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Bonbon »

Iszuzu medal windows cant beat it!
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

hetek wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:44 pm Sinced you asked...

The owner sent me this recent picture of the interior, now in the finishing stages. Remember, his Albin started life as an aft cabin family cruiser model. He kept the original opposing bench seats in the cockit - now the salon. Add the obligatory oriental rug (doesn't every trawler have one?) and his boat will be about as "live-aboard" as an Albin 27 can get.

You could argue that by keeping the aft cabin in-place you would gain all that extra interior room. He had no choice - it was already gone when he bought the boat.

Interior View.jpg

Hey that’s our Mary Jo! She has been our “home” all winter and about 5 months for two previous winters when we went down the ICW. CapVic did an amazing job building out Hetek’s rendering. Here’s our latest picture of her in the Everglades.
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”