• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Newbie Albin 25 owners on board

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Newbie Albin 25 owners on board

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Hello all! My wife and I just came on board as proud new owners of 1971 Albin 25 Hull #736, a full displacement motor sailer version. We drove 860 miles all the way from Phoenix, AZ to Pocatello, ID to pick this boat up and bring her to her new home. This is the same boat that was advertised on Seattle Craigslist and was re-powered in 1987 with a Yanmar 3GM30F engine. Put her in Lake Powell for a shakedown on the way back, but ran into some problems with raw water pump not priming properly due to leaking raw water strainer, so we hauled her out and brought her home to fix that issue. Otherwise she's turn key having been completely restored by previous owner. Boat's name is Nowell's Ark, but that will be changed as soon as we decide on a new name of our own. We are looking forward to cruising the San Juan and Gulf Islands this summer and maybe meet up with the Northwest group at Roche Harbor in July.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Newbie Albin 25 owners on board

Post by whwells »

DesertAlbin 736: Congra's on the purchase. Looks to be a fine 25'. We usually have a couple 25's at the Summer Rendezvous. Happy to hear you are considering attendance. We expect thanks' to member Mark a great time at Lopez Island and then onto Roche Harbor. Have you checked in as a likely attendee
at the Rendezvous section. Dave and I would appreciate a telephone number and email address to stay in contact near the meet. You can send either of us a PM and that way we will have your email address for the list of possible attendees. Please also consider checking into the Rendezvous section as to your probable attendance. We have blocked slips at Roche Harbor but need to get a better idea on how many.
whwells "Howard"
Last edited by whwells on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

Welcome Desert Albin - you will love your 25! If you get around to it pls post some interior pics. I enjoy seeing what others have done re upgrades etc. as I plan my own.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Welcome Desertalbin736! We've had our 1976 Albin-25 only two year, so we're new, ourselves.
Yeoman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thunder bay canada

Post by Yeoman »

Congrats on your new old boat. We have a '75 A25 deluxe and are waiting for our 5th season to start which may be a while since Lake Superior is very frozen. We don't use our mast and depend on our original Volvo to cruise the north shore.I hope you have many great adventures.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

More pics
0306141616.jpg
0305141748.jpg
Albin wardrobe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Swells
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Esquimalt Harbour

Post by Swells »

Cangrats DesertAlbin on your new boat. She looks very smart and tidy. We've had our Albin25 Deluxe since 2008 and we've have taken her all the way up to the Broughtons from her home port in Victoria BC. She's never let us down even in the roughest seas ( 30mph gale in Juan de Fuca). Maybe we'll see you up our way sometime.
Forth to the open ocean - called by a new day
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Post by Thumper74 »

Man how the time flies by. Don’t mind me resurrecting an old thread. I’m just surfin for golden nuggets of info.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Thumper,
That sure is a blast from the past! Pictures from those early posts show a) how insane that bowsprit was with two yellow spare fuel jerry cans hanging over the bow & the anchor way out on the end. In addition to changing boat name from the previous owner's "Nowell's Ark" to "La Dolce Vita", the first thing to go was removing the jerry cans & cutting the bowsprit as short as possible & still have the anchor roller, and b) the dinghy seen hanging off the back on Weaver snap davits was lost off Nelson Island in BC in 2016, replaced with Garhauer lift davits and a new Gig Harbor dinghy. c) The poptop over the pilothouse was replaced with a custom made (by me) f/g layup & teak roof hatches. The water level at Lake Powell has dropped quite a bit since 2014, now down to 37% of capacity in this ongoing mega drought. We have not been on Lake Powell since. d) canvas cockpit enclosure was replaced with a new modified one (sewn by me), enlarging the rear flap window, adding side curtains with roll up flaps & bug screens. All electronics were replaced, and major repairs & reinforcement of the trailer frame. All to the point where the boat today looks like this.
20190613_134500.jpg
Last year when we did Erie Canal I had modified the frames used to attach the jerry cans to the bowsprit and used them to hold the cans on deck. Seen here docked next to Lock 34 in Lockport NY. As it turned out that's the only time we used them since taking ownership of the boat in 2014. And those 10 gallons was the only fuel we added to the tank in 175 statute miles on that trip, having started out with our tank 3/4 full.
20210808_134746.jpg
On that trip we never did fuel up at a fuel dock, just the 10 gallons we got at a gas station.
20210809_090617.jpg
20210809_090628.jpg
20210809_082937.jpg
You can't buy this older style of jerry can without the "safety" nozzles anymore. I transferred the fuel from the cans to the tank using a siphon rig, not poured into a funnel.

After we get back from our trip to New Zealand and Holland America repositioning cruise across the Pacific from Sydney Australia to Vancouver BC in May next year we're hoping to turn around and head to the Pacific NW again in June & make it up to the Broughtons.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”