• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New member just purchased a 27fc

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
MagicDragon
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Florida

Post by MagicDragon »

Hello I just purchased a1988 27FC and I'm looking for some advice on tuning up the deisel engine. I am a novice boater with some experience but I would love any help or advice on what this boat is and isn't capable of.
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Re: New member just purchased a 27fc

Post by coolchange »

probably gonna need to add the engine you got...and maybe some symptoms you wonder about. my 2 cents: change oil and all filters unless a reliable service can be documented..also change the impeller....run it and see if there are any things to wonder about. (I also changed trans fluid and filter...I think it would be ok to not replace the filter but just clean it in brake fluid or the like...it is a metal filter)
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

RE what the boat is capable of: pretty much more than you are assuming you're not nuts...I may be in that category according to some but still here...very tough boats, a little wet in heavy seas..maybe I just need better wipers...beam seas less fun than others..nasty in close quarters and wind so practice a lot. (something I wish I knew earlier: boat (mine) has a starboard prop walk so a tight 180 can be easily done as long as you want/have room for a port turn..put helm all the way to port and leave it there...a touch of throttle can start a port turn..shift to stern for a second or so..propwalk will pull to star..repeat till turned around..backing best done (for me) with getting straight then short bursts of idle Reverse..this keeps from too much propwalk effect) Practice a lot when it doesn't matter...maybe by yourself to keep the stress down
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Welcome to the forum; you'll find a stack of good info here about the 27FC.
I agree with Coolchange - the 27FC is a tough little boat; on one of our first outings we got caught in a Chesapeake Bay squall - very exciting until I got her pointing in the right direction. Boss was hanging on to the overhead grab bars and I was mimicking Capt Ahab at the wheel, but all turned out well. She is tougher than me or you. Beam and following seas are not too much fun, but seas off the bow are handled well, sometimes a bit wet, but overall she's a pretty dry boat (just remember to shut the ports and forehatch). Getting 'waked' by go-fasts is infuriating.

I find that turns (45-180 and beyond) are generally not an issue; our walk to port is minimal and she generally handles well. Practice, practice etc is the rule. I regularly reverse down the creek just to keep my hand in, and have finally got it under control. Docking is exciting sometimes, but I usually get it right now. (touching wood and stroking a backstay as I write) There's some windage, and I still spend time wondering about and planning tight maneuvers in wind and currents. We are moving to new quarters next week and I have a couple of scenarios worked out so that I don't make too much of a public cock-up on my first (and subsequent) docking into the new slip.

We love pootling around at 6-7 knots in open water, often dropping to 4-ish to stream a couple of trolling lines and read our Kindles (The fish leave us alone usually), then head back in in the twilight for Dale's Ales alongside.

Enjoy your new toy, and keep us informed about your adventures.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
MagicDragon
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Florida

Post by MagicDragon »

So I actually put in the wrong year its a 1984 with a leman diesel. I really appreciate all the advice I sat with the previous owner (my neighbor) and he told me he rode out a tropical storm on it one year... pretty excited
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

Welcome! Where in Florida? Considering a second trip down the ICW this winter to Ft Pierce.

Suggest taking a basic marine diesel course. Some good ones online but in person is best if you can. American Diesel in Kilmarnock, Va is the go to experts for our engines. If you run into issues and need a part, yo7 can get it from them if it exists.
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I'm with "Mary Jo" and Coolchange on all of this. Soon after purchase, I found a local diesel guy who had worked with Bob Smith at American Diesel and was very familiar with the Lehman marine conversions. A couple of hours with Brian put me well on track to keep the Mighty 4D61 purring like a kitten for the past 5 years. Yes, it's a bit noisy, but it's a strong engine and will probably outlive many younger engines. (Coincidentally, he's a live-aboard at our new home base :-) )
As others have said, change the filters (I buy 'em in fours) and fluids, keep an eye on the impellor, use the dip-sticks a lot, check belts, keep the raw water and heat exchanger clean and watch yer gauges.
I just had the propeller (original) reconditioned and balanced and it has made some kind of difference in performance (I'm not sure what but She seems a happier camper)
Don't expect to tow "towables" or break speed records - if I exceed 8kts I'm looking behind me to see if the wind and tide have suddenly changed to everything coming from behind, or if someone is pushing me along.

Please post some pix - we like to see other A27s on the forum.

Enjoy your new toy.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “New Member Introductions”