• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A 25 on Lopez Island in Washington State

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
LopezMike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lopez Island, WA. USA San Juan Islands

A 25 on Lopez Island in Washington State

Post by LopezMike »

We've had Caprice less than a year and so far we are quite satisfied. Came to this pocket cruiser from a 36 foot sailboat. Found ourselves motoring on days when we should have been sailing. Took it as a sign.

We winter in Baja and having the 25 on a trailer in the yard while we are gone is a great improvement from fretting in absentia over the sailboat on a mooring with the winter gales and all.

We've added an autopilot and a small solar system. Other than that I'll just be reading though all of your back posts for inspiration and encouragement.

Mike and Barbara
Caprice
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: A 25 on Lopez Island in Washington State

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Belated welcome aboard! Just catching up on checking the new member page. Answers some of my questions about your situation raised in emails & posts on the A25/A27 forum. I've noticed too that with the typical Salish Sea light summer winds sailboats spend 70% to 80% motoring or motorsailing. We had thought of getting a Taiwan built 34 or 36 foot trawler, an Albin if we could find one or a Marine Trader or the like to keep in the PNW as a summer home. But the same anxieties you talk about when away for the winter convinced us to stick with what we have. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of Caprice posted. Using the full editor you can upload jpegs up to 4MB in file size. Anything bigger would need to be resized.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Welcome, Mike. We are former sailors, too, having towed a 28' yawl to all three coasts. We hope to retrace our paths in the A-25 DuNORD.
LopezMike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lopez Island, WA. USA San Juan Islands

Post by LopezMike »

We had plans to trailer to Barkeley Sound on the W. coast of Vancouver Island but the onset of the epizootic put all plans on hold.

I'm passing the time sorting out various niggly little issues. Adding a reel for a stern line and the like. Adjusting the trailer so that retrieving Caprice puts less of a stress on marital relations. Much yelling about, "Why is the boat leaned over like that?"

A long ago I realized that while some belief systems focus on 'original sin', mine recognizes 'original guilt'. In other words, what ever happens, it's my fault. Thus we can dispense with the search for the guilty party and get on with solving the problem. It doesn't hurt me much at all and it seems to do Barbara a world of good.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Berkeley Sound is on my to do list but other good destinations are Nootka Sound via Gold River, the Broughtons via Port McNeill and Desolation Sound using the boat. Too bad about Covid but it too shall pass - eventually. Looking forward to seeing you up this way once the border opens to cruising.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Gosh I do hope COVID ends by next summer. Or at least have a vaccine, quick turnaround testing & contact tracing.

Dave, that sounds like an ambitious plan. Just getting to Comox is quite a run. Who knows about 2022, but we're still hoping for Rideau Canal, Lake Champlain, & Erie Canal next year.

Hopefully by 2022 we can come back to BC.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “New Member Introductions”