• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
ysbran
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Orange Beach, Al

Post by ysbran »

Hello,
I have owned my 1993 Albin 28 for sixteen years. I bought it cheap in Mexico and have been working on it ever since. I repowered with a Yanmar about twelve years ago and never had a problem until this past summer when she sank at the dock. It was my lift, when the back beam failed and she plunged down stern first into the canal and sank.
I considered buying another Albin 28 but after checking out the used market I'm thinking I should just salvage mine. I have a trailer and thought I would put it in our back yard and do most of the work myself.
I will have millions of questions as I get this project underway. Any help the members could give along the way would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
David
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: New Member

Post by nebulatech »

David, best of luck. There are a few of us with project boats in the back yard. I hope the engine was salvageable!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
ysbran
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Orange Beach, Al

Post by ysbran »

There wasn't any damage to the hull but all other systems will need to be replaced. Yanmar doesn;t sell remans, only new for 27,000.00. I did find a guy in Florida that rebuilds them for 14,500.00 if you have a core. Not sure what to do. The wife wants me to buy one that's running but I don't want to buy someone else problems.
If anyone knows where a solid Albin 28TE that's for sell let me know.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I'm sure you've looked at your options. If the boat sank at the dock, I just can't imagine the motor being a total loss. Do you know if water got into the oil? The oil will look milky. (don't ask)

I have a friend whose boat sank at the dock. Insurance totaled it and he bought it back from them at salvage pricing. Spent the difference to repower.

There do seem to be some really good deals on boats right now though
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “New Member Introductions”