• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New member from Maine

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
hagak
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Maine

New member from Maine

Post by hagak »

No boat yet. Still in the shopping phase and actually getting bit nervous about the prospect of boat ownership.

Background/experience, I grew up around boats on the Chesapeake Bay. Father had me sailing Lasers and Flying Clubs by the time I was 8. Being on a Navy base with a Sailing Center I was able to spend pretty much my entire summers sailing for free (well I had to help around the center). My father and I also spent most of our time sailing his boat a small 19' Oday until he replaced it with a Albin 27 (forget the exact year but mid to late 80s). That boat was a good bit more maintenance then the Oday, I spent many weekends upside down in the engine bay of that Albin.

Now why I feel nervous about being a boat owner. It has been many years since I was active on a boat (father passed away). While I feel confident in my navigation (i actually do know how to read and plot a course on a paper chart), radio, basic seamanship tasks, and most importantly WHEN not to leave the dock. I never owned a boat myself, and being so long since I have docked a boat I feel like i would need to find a quiet place to practice (i actually have such a spot in mind, we have our own dock that I can use at high tide, not a dock I could permanent dock an Albin 28 but certainly could practice different approaches).

Is nervousness unfounded and I should just jump in to boat ownership? Course asking an Owners Group is a bit akin to asking a Cake lovers group if I should try cake.

Now why am I on the AOG? Well believe it or not the bigger driving force for me to get a boat is my wife! She has no boating experience. I am looking at Albin's because I believe that style of boat would fit us best. She has no desire for a sailboat (not sure why she just doesn't like them) and I primarily want a safe stable boat for weekend outings around the coast of Maine. The Albin 28 looks like a pretty good fit for those requirements.
BRISWISH
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Middle River, Maryland

Re: New member from Maine

Post by BRISWISH »

From a new Albin 28 owner, jump into it my friend!! I grew up boating on the Chester River on center consoles and other small outboards. Briefly owned my dad's hand me down Wellcraft in my late teens and a jet ski for a period of time, but my primary life-long boating experience was on my family's boats and friend's boats - all outboards. I got my boaters safety course 25 years ago (yikes) and the Chester River is a pretty calm private world. Needed to know the channel and boating 101 like markers/buoy identification, knots, and approaching other boats, but didn't need to know plot charting, docking in a slip, nor worrying about tides because of the low draft.

I decided it was time to get a boat of my own and wanted more than a center console. I wanted a fishing boat, an entertainment boat, a cruiser so I could do overnights in different towns, a safe boat... The Albin 28 checked off all those boxes.

So I got my boat without extensive docking experience, little experience in the Chesapeake Bay, zero knowledge of inboards or diesel engines, and bought it with a partner who has no boating experience (like your wife). The boat is now kept in Middle River, MD and the Chesapeake Bay is my back yard. I make it up to my old stomping grounds on the Chester quite often - its a 2 hour sail from my home port crossing the bay to Chestertown.

This boat is the easiest boat I've ever operated. The "how to dock your Albin" thread was extremely helpful and you have the common knowledge that many new boat owners lack... watch the weather/wind before and during sailing and only go as fast (slow) as if you were to hit the piling or pier when docking. Docking is a breeze with the bow thruster, although I am getting better and better docking without it.

As a new Albin 28 owner, I am really satisfied with my purchase. Like you, I had reservations but they went out the door as soon as I operated the boat. I am the primary captain and my partner is the first mate handling the lines. He getting better and better with driving and docking the boat every trip. It was also helpful for me to look over his shoulder when he completed his boaters safety course as a refresher.

Long story short, boating is very much like riding a bike. You have the foundational knowledge and common sense. Do it and learn to improve. This group is extremely helpful. I can work my way around an outboard, but diesel's are intimidating and new territory for me. This year I am going to get it serviced by a licensed Yanmar mechanic and winterized by my Marina. Once I get more comfortable I might take on some of that work in future years.
Brian Swisher
2004 Albin 28 Flush Deck w/ 315 Yanmar - "Unleashed"
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Welcome aboard, hagak!

Great post, Brian!

Hagak, there's not much I can add to what Brian said except to suggest that you could beg, borrow, steal, or hire an experienced boater or captain to spend some with you to walk you through systems, docking, and handling.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
hagak
Mate
Mate

Post by hagak »

Thanks for the welcome and great post Brian.

I have already made friends with our harbormaster and my neighbor who has a custom DE boat. So hopefully those guys will be more then happy "join" me for a few sails!

Neighbor took me out aa little while ago and pointed out some of the local hazards, we have a day marker that is marked as 6' but in reality is closer to 3' so really need to be careful on the MLLW.

Trying to set up an appt. to see Albin 28 for sale not too far away.
BRISWISH
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Middle River, Maryland

Post by BRISWISH »

Nancy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:20 pm Welcome aboard, hagak!

Great post, Brian!

Hagak, there's not much I can add to what Brian said except to suggest that you could beg, borrow, steal, or hire an experienced boater or captain to spend some with you to walk you through systems, docking, and handling.
Thanks Nancy. Great suggestion and that's something important I left out... I purchased the boat in Keyport, NJ. Hired a USCG captain through CAPCA.net to deliver the boat with me onboard to Middle River, MD. I captained 90% of the 2 day trip (overnight in Cape May). Having a captain over my shoulder was a huge comfort and gave me the confidence to captain the boat on my own once it was delivered. Also needed someone really experienced in case something went wrong in the ocean. :shock: But lucked out and no issues.
Brian Swisher
2004 Albin 28 Flush Deck w/ 315 Yanmar - "Unleashed"
hagak
Mate
Mate

Post by hagak »

Thanks Brian did not even know about a service like that. Very good to know!
hagak
Mate
Mate

Post by hagak »

Oh that did remind me, my father used to provide a service like that but for friends and he would drag me along. Brought a few boats up from the ICW. I remember one particularly nasty trip with a following sea that made everyone but my dad sea sick. My dad is at the helm eating oreo's while everyone else is tossing their cookies.

Return to “New Member Introductions”