• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New to Us . . . '87 Albin 36

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Key2Cay
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental, NC

New to Us . . . '87 Albin 36

Post by Key2Cay »

Greetings. My wife, Carole, and I just acquired a 1987 Albin 36 trawler with a Cummins 6BT 210-hp engine. We had a full survey done including a haul out and a separate engine survey that showed we had a solid old boat with a great engine. I am starting with some recommended work on the engine (new hoses; ABA clamps; new water pump; recondition the heat exchanger; new transmission cooler; etc. Yes, about $3K has been sent to Seaboard Marine in CA already). I have started to re-plumb the freshwater system with PEX and then I will re-plumb the black water lines with fresh hoses; install automatic bilge pumps; new electric heads; re-design the galley with an electric built-in microwave and a two burner induction cooktop; reconfigure the forward berth to an office for Carole; and outfit the boat with Garmin electronics and entertainment systems; use Starlink mobility for internet (we have Starlink at our house in NC). I joke that this will be a "tech trawler" when I'm done. Meanwhile, I have signed up with our local community college to take a marine diesel class to get smarter. I am looking forward to the projects and Carole is looking forward to heading south in December 2023.

Currently named, Swan, we are looking to re-name her "Key 2 Cay" following a boating vacation in June in the Bahamian Cays. I will be interested in reading more on the forum about the challenges and solutions owners have come up with for their older boats.
Tom Brown
1987 Albin 36 "Key 2 Cay"
Hull #414
Oriental, NC
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: New to Us . . . '87 Albin 36

Post by Nancy »

Welcome aboard, Tom, and congratulations! What a great and ambitious list of projects! We look forward to hearing more about them and seeing lots of photos. :)
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “New Member Introductions”