• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What brand of varnish?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tconnelly254
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: New York Harbor

What brand of varnish?

Post by tconnelly254 »

Hi all,

I am about to undertake the task of improving the galley/salon floor in my 2002 35TE. I have never done this before. Can anybody help me identify the brand of varnish they used in the 2002 Albin interiors?
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Re: What brand of varnish?

Post by Capt Brad »

]I used epifanes on teak and holly deck sole.
Capt Brad
elad9000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart FL

Post by elad9000 »

Go with AWLWOOD MA.

Primer seals the wood completely. Multiple coats of Clear or Satin provides the build. After a FULL cure of at least 1 week you can finish sand to a gloss if desired. I sprayed a few final coats of AWLCRFAT 200 since I wanted a mirror finish. Not necessary for decks.

Not nearly a difficult to work with as AWLGRIP.
Dale Purdy
enJOYCEment
2000 28 TE 1800 hrs
Stuart, FL
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Epiphanes is good. I've had good results with Pettit #1015 Captain's Varnish. Of course that was on trim & hand rails, not flooring.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tconnelly254
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: New York Harbor

Post by tconnelly254 »

Hello guys, and thanks for the responses so far. Here are two pics attached -- as you can see there is a lot of wear and tear.

I guess my main questions are:

1. Will the type of varnish I get impact how closely it matches to the rest of the boat? To be clear, the rest of boat forward (hallway to berths/head) are in near mint condition.

2. On the scratches - will I be only adding coats to build up, on those spots, and then once flush with the rst of the surface, sand down the whole thing, and give finish coat of varnish?

I am pretty handy, I've just never done this particular thing before (or any finish woodwork for that matter) so any basic step by step tips, based on these photos, would be much, much appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Post by Capt Brad »

I stripped mine down completely and many coats. It matched fine.
Capt Brad
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Capt Brad wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:39 am I stripped mine down completely and many coats. It matched fine.
Agree, you need a complete strip, then build up 4-5 coats with every living soul onboard prohibited from wearing shoes or sliding luggage, tools or anything across the floorboards. :roll:

(I lived on and cruised sailboats with teak and holly floors for many years. Barefoot only, or swim ashore.. :shock: )
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I'm about to do a test run of Slip Doctor's Extra Fine Clear Anti-Slip Spray for Wood with a view to doing my engine room hatch (I probably have the only 27FC with a single heavy wooden ER hatch). The product is a clear epoxy, and I need a non-slip clear finish to complete a tiger stripe stain on the hatch. Slip Doc also does a range of non-slip epoxy paint finishes which, according to many good reviews, are very suitable for decks etc.

If anyone has used any of these products I'd be interested in hearing your opinions.

Google slip doctors for more info.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “General Discussion”