• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin back stay info.

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

mgazarek
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Light house cove ontario

Albin back stay info.

Post by mgazarek »

I just bought an abandoned albin ballad 30, looking for any info on rigging. Turn buckles sizes, back stay spreader and mast boot and rubber spacers. Please and thank you. PS never sailed in my life but have owned powered boats.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: Albin back stay info.

Post by nebulatech »

Welcome mgazarek. There aren't a lot of albin sailboat owners on our forum, but many "retired" sailors. Old sailors never die; they trawl away.

Congrats on your new boat, and feel free to post any questions you have. Lots of helpful knowledgeable people here. If you're considering a repower, I'm working on an electric conversion on my A25.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard!

What nebulatech said about this forum being primarily an Albin powerboat group is true. But there a lot of former sailors here including myself.

If you haven't seen this before here's a link to a spec data sheet on the Ballad 30 sailboat on Sailrite.com. Looks like it could be a nice sailing boat. It might take a bit to get used to tiller steering, but you'll find that's the most responsive kind when it comes to getting a feel for "weather helm". You'll find out what that is as you learn to sail.

Sailrite.com specializes in canvas & sail making kits & supplies. You might try emailing or calling them with your questions & if they can't answer might be able to refer you to someone who can.

https://www.sailrite.com/Albin-30-Ballad-Sail-Data

You just may have stumbled onto a real gem, according to this description on the Sailrite page:
The Albin Ballad 30 was designed by Rolf Magnusson and introduced in 1972. The Albin Ballad was one of the best cruiser racers produced in the 1970's. The large fore triangle gives you plenty of downwind horsepower under spinnaker and a large genoa for upwind work.
Another data page describes the Ballad 30 thus:
One of the most popular sailing yachts of this size ever built in Scandinavia. An evolution of the JOKER S30(1968). (IOR 1/2 ton)
After Albin Marine went out of business in 1982, the molds were acquired by the Ballad One-Design Association and leased to a number of different yards in Sweden that built a few more boats until 1998.
The design type which can be identified by the overhanging stern & slanted triangular shape of the transom is known as IOR, aka the somewhat obsolete "International Offshore Rule" for racer/cruisers.
Ballad 30.jpg
Though a bit dated some of those traits might not mean much to you now being new to sailing, but if you ever get into racing with your local yacht club you may have a real contender.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... shore_Rule

So Lighthouse Cove is on Lake St. Clair across the border from Detroit? Looks like a little nice waterfront community with private back yard docks on canals & the Thames River Yacht Club on the lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

Your most accurate and headache-free approach will be to measure the wire rigging and the threaded studs yourself. Note also whether they are left or right-hand thread. With those measurements and that information, you should be able to find what you need through a company like Rigging Only. As far as spreader boots, there are plastic boots and leather wraps. They generally come in a few basic sizes. Measuring will help determine which size boot/wrap you need.

Return to “General Discussion”