• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

G10 Backing Plate

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

G10 Backing Plate

Post by DCatSea »

One of my many 2021 layup jobs is to replace backing plates on handrails and deck fittings. G10 is one of the recommended materials for this, so:
A) Has anyone used it, and know of any issues with it?
B) Has anyone other recommendations for backing plates?
As always, I'm looking for something that is workable with "usual" tools, and that won't require a second mortgage to implement.

Thanks
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: G10 Backing Plate

Post by jleonard »

I don’t know what G10 is but I always like to use plywood for backing plates. Easy to shape to fit will deform a little bit to a not flat contour and has ability to give a little under strain.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

G10 is made of fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin that is cured at high temperature and pressure in a platen press. It is heavier than aluminum and very strong material that is usually cut and machined with carbide tools. I have used it for backing plates and other applications often in the past and it is superior to wood or metal. It does not rot or corrode and is impervious to water and most chemicals. It can be painted but doesn't need to be. It is easily available but is expensive compared to wood or aluminum.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I've only used the ready made G10 backing plates made by Groco for utilizing with their thru hulls and the stuff is STRONG! I think that your plan is a great one.

Here are a couple of photos from last spring's holding tank discharge thruhull refit -
20200525_165642.jpg
20200525_172457.jpg
Thruhull to G10 Block.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Sorry I don't check in as often as I used to.

G-10 also called FR4 is as described by others a fiberglass epoxy material. It is used in most circuit boards. It is water impermeable making it a good choice for backing material. It is extremely strong and takes well to tapping. In my business we machine sheets of G-10 for the manufacture of test equipment for printed circuit boards and assemblies. You want to use carbide cutting tools as it is quite abrasive. It is available in sheets of varying sizes. For the DIY side, I believe McMaster Carr carries it in different thicknesses.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by SkipD »

G10 is great for backing plates. No rot, great strength, easy to work with.

Return to “General Discussion”