• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dogs and boats

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Dogs and boats

Post by DCatSea »

I'm sure that many Albineers have canine companions on board. We are just about to enter the fray, with a very young Boykin Spaniel and are looking for ways to "ensure she likes boating".
She has lifejacket already, and this breed apparently loves water (it must be the webbed feet), so I'm not expecting too many issues, but would welcome inputs on keeping "Daisy" safe and well on Mazboot and a 11' SOT kayak.
She's little young at the moment (8 weeks), but I'd expect her to be onboard after all her shots (16 weeks).
Any ideas will be gratefully received.

Thanks
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Dogs and boats

Post by jcollins »

We have 3 Goldens that grew up on boats. Start them young. You'll have no problems. That's why I'm looking for a 36ET. The dogs need more room.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

jcollins wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:43 pm We have 3 Goldens that grew up on boats. Start them young. You'll have no problems. That's why I'm looking for a 36ET. The dogs need more room.
lol!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Love the Pile O'Pups Picture. Yes, John, they definitely need a bigger boat.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Early and slow introduction and you should be good. My 10 year old water-loving golden would not accept the boat. A rocking boat is just not the same as a beach trip for a dog set in his ways. I have an extending ramp good for dock to boat transfer if your dog will get big. Would be happy give it to someone who can put it to use.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Our soon-to-be pup is a female Boykin Spaniel and will be introduced to the boat (and a couple of live aboard marina dogs) when I'm working onboard, and not exposed to rocking or rolling for a while. Hope she'll get her sealegs in good time. A ramp sounds like an excellent idea so if I could run down to Solomons some time before the end of May I'd be happy to make a fair trade.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Sounds good. The ramp is yours. I would be happy just to know it is getting used!
Sixtfour
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buzzards Bay

Post by Sixtfour »

We have a 7 month old goldendoodle. She was on the boat a few quick times last season. Now that the weather is improving we have been bringing her to the boat on the hard and trips to the marina to get used to the dock/ramps. I’m trying to take it slow and keep it positive
2001 28T 300HP Yanmar
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We don't do pets on boats, but have friends who cruised the Pacific NW with a "ship's cat" named Grebo aboard an O'Day 25 sailboat. It was an older cat that has since passed on to kitty heaven. Grebo was a mellow critter that stayed below decks most of the time except when brought topside for a look around once in a while. He was the sort of flat faced breed that looked like a grey striped version of Garfield. The pros of a cat vs dog is a cat doesn't demand much attention and uses a litter box rather than needing to be taken ashore frequently. Mix litter box and cat smell to some diesel fumes is also the "con" to that situation.
20160726_090942 (1280x720).jpg
Of course with a dog you need to have the means to take your four legged friend ashore to "do its business" when anchored out. Those same friends described above also once had a dog they took along for sailing club raft ups out at the lake. One time the skipper took the dog to shore in their Montgomery 6-8 pram rowing dinghy to "do business" and after relieving itself the dog got excited to go back to the boat, ran ahead & before the owner could stop it or grab the dinghy the dog jumped into the dinghy with enough force to push it out and away from shore leaving the dog adrift and the owner "marooned" on the beach. Now imagine rowing a 20 lb medium sized dog ashore in one of these. You will probably not find a more "tender" tender than the the Monty 6-8, as in 6 feet 8 inch length.
monty 6 9 dinghy.jpg
PS, those puppies are totally cute.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

OT for Jcollins: Those same folks who had the "ship's cat" now own a Southern Cross 31 cutter rigged sloop they plan to sail from the Apostle Islands of Wisconsin at west end of Lake Superior to Chesapeake Bay via Erie Canal, Hudson River, Jersey coast ICW, & C&D Canal in the August-September time frame. If things go as planned we hope to meet up with them at the west end of Erie Canal and go the rest of the way to the Chesapeake. There are a number of marinas in Seneca Creek like Goellers, Beacon Light, & Porters. Which one is your home port? Would be fun if we could stop by your home port.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:51 pm OT for Jcollins: Those same folks who had the "ship's cat" now own a Southern Cross 31 cutter rigged sloop they plan to sail from the Apostle Islands of Wisconsin at west end of Lake Superior to Chesapeake Bay via Erie Canal, Hudson River, Jersey coast ICW, & C&D Canal in the August-September time frame. If things go as planned we hope to meet up with them at the west end of Erie Canal and go the rest of the way to the Chesapeake. There are a number of marinas in Seneca Creek like Goellers, Beacon Light, & Porters. Which one is your home port? Would be fun if we could stop by your home port.
We have a slip at Porters. Right now it's a hole in the water so if you need a place to spend the night, no problem.
Look forward to meeting up with you.

Hope it works out.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “General Discussion”