• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

31 TE Boat Hauling - Canada to U.S.

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

haskinseattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Kingston, WA

31 TE Boat Hauling - Canada to U.S.

Post by haskinseattle »

I'm looking into buying a 31 TE and having it transported from Ontario, Canada to the Seattle area and wondered if anyone's got tips they could pass along. I've searched through the forums and created a list of transport companies to reach out to based upon members' recommendations. Thanks to those that posted them. I've also researched the customs and duties and got an estimate which didn't amount to anything scary. I am now looking into the EPA's Engine Declaration Form 3520-21.

Thanks,

Steve
2000 31 TE - Argonaut
"Never give up, never surrender!"
Commander Peter Quincy Taggart
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Re: 31 TE Boat Hauling - Canada to U.S.

Post by jetter »

When I sold my 28TE into Michigan I provided new owner with a copy of the certificate that boat was manufactured in the USA. This allows entry under free trade agreement with no duty.
Russell
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

I imported my 28TE from Quebec province and also got the point of manufacture certificate (Portsmouth, RI) with the paperwork. The certificate is required if you plan to document the boat with the USCG. They require proof of “made in the USA”. Don.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

We have had very good experience with the Uship.com website. The way it works is you post the particulars of the boat, the starting point and destination of the trip, and proposed schedule. Boat moving companies then bid competitively on the project and you choose the company that best suits your needs. We moved our 36' sailboat from TX to CA and our 28TE from VA to CA using this service and had excellent results both times.
haskinseattle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by haskinseattle »

jetter wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:15 am When I sold my 28TE into Michigan I provided new owner with a copy of the certificate that boat was manufactured in the USA. This allows entry under free trade agreement with no duty.
Russell,

That's great news! I was not aware of this. Thanks.

Steve
2000 31 TE - Argonaut
haskinseattle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by haskinseattle »

carolmarie wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:54 pm I imported my 28TE from Quebec province and also got the point of manufacture certificate (Portsmouth, RI) with the paperwork. The certificate is required if you plan to document the boat with the USCG. They require proof of “made in the USA”. Don.
Don,

Looks like I'll be running down the point of manufacture certificate. Thanks for the tip. Any other advice is more than welcome.

Steve
2000 31 TE - Argonaut
haskinseattle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by haskinseattle »

Ben423 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:36 pm We have had very good experience with the Uship.com website. The way it works is you post the particulars of the boat, the starting point and destination of the trip, and proposed schedule. Boat moving companies then bid competitively on the project and you choose the company that best suits your needs. We moved our 36' sailboat from TX to CA and our 28TE from VA to CA using this service and had excellent results both times.
Ben,

Thanks for the advice. I just reached out to Uship and filled in their questionnaire. I'll keep you posted as things progress.

Steve
2000 31 TE - Argonaut

Return to “General Discussion”