• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Another one bites the dust

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Another one bites the dust

Post by hetek »

Just found out yesterday that one of my long time "go to" yacht sales dealerships has shuttered their business.

North Shore Yacht Sales in Mattituck, NY was run by "Red" for decades. I drove by yesterday and saw a "Strongs Marine" sign out front. I was so shocked that I had to pull over.

Then I see Red loading up his pickup truck. I asked what's up? He sold the business and was going to travel the USA with his wife in his truck and 5th wheel camper. Retired.

The tipping point was last year his shop foreman, his wife and he all caught Covid. Red and his foreman were hospitalized for weeks. Red came home. His foreman never did. Sad.

I've bought and sold many boats and trailers with Red over the years. He also ran a boat transporting service and would haul and splash my Albin 27FC for me. Never a bad experience.

Funny story: The local launch ramp is super busy in the summer with day trippers coming and going. It is a double wide ramp but only a single side tie-up. One at a time going in and out. Or is it?

Typical day, there was a line waiting to use the ramp. Red was launching my Albin and drove straight to the front of the line. People were hollering about him cutting the line but that didn't phase him. He said to me "Hop up in your boat. I'm splashing you now...". Red backed me down the far side without the tie-up, told me to start the engine, I pulled away from the trailer and Red was gone. Less than 5 minutes, in and gone.

That's the way to do it, but I honestly wasn't expecting to do it THAT way! The boat at the tie-up was still loading their coolers and junk. I was in and gone.

Enjoy your retirement, Red! But I have to say that driving by on my daily commute just won't be the same anymore.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress

Return to “General Discussion”