• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Concealed Carry onboard

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

AmeliaMan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Amelia Island Marina FL

Concealed Carry onboard

Post by AmeliaMan »

Do any of you carry a gun onboard when out at night, on an extended voyage or on the hook? If so what do you carry? I did have a problem a few years ago and I am considering keeping my Judge Gun onboard.
Last edited by AmeliaMan on Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlanB
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: St Augustine

Re: Conceled Carry onboard

Post by PlanB »

Flare guns are legal and US coast guard required equipment.
CC permits vary from state to state and can be problematic.
captaingary
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Coral, FL

Post by captaingary »

Remington makes a Nickel-Plated marine shotgun, that also has a synthetic stock. I believe it is the "870 Special Purpose Marine". Carried similar one for years when we traveled the Mississippi, and the tenn-tom waterway.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Ditto "PlanB" post. AmeliaMan, what kind of problems encountered? Drug smugglers? Alligators? When solo sailing around the southern tip of South America Joshua Slocum's technique for deterring barefoot indigenous tribesmen from boarding his boat was to spread carpet tacks on deck. And he kept a Winchester rifle handy.

I take no position for or against, but this article might help with decision making regarding any of your questions. And not just legal questions but also the type of finish on firearms and ammunition that best resist corrosion, which in salt water environment could be a big issue. And yes, nickel plate finish might be best bet. We cruise in BC Canada often, and the closest thing to a weapon we've carried besides flare gun is bear spray (which in theory could do as well to repel boarders) when we were up in Desolation Sound because we'd heard bears could be about. Never saw any though. Obviously carrying a firearm aboard in Canada requires a lot more hoops to jump through and a solid reason for needing one if at all possible. In Mexico I don't know about carrying guns on boats, but I've heard being caught crossing the border with so much as a single .22 LR cartridge on your person or in baggage can get you tossed in jail, guilty until proven innocent.

https://www.floridasportsman.com/editor ... ard/396429
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: Concealed Carry onboard

Post by DCatSea »

DA quotes one of my maritime heroes. Joshua Slocum knew how to handle himself and his vessel with grace and great confidence. He also handled unwanted guests with more loss of face (theirs) than blood. A five-star read.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Been cruising on small boats for years in the Caribbean, The Bahamas and in Florida.
Never had a need for a firearm, but just in case some crazy drugged idiot try to board us and cause harm, we carry a can of Bear Spray, as well as flare guns and good old dive knives for close combat protection.

If I was cruising to Venezuela or Colombia however I would carry a shotgun, but not going that way anytime soon. :roll:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
elad9000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart FL

Post by elad9000 »

The Mossberg 500 12ga shotgun also comes in a Marinized Barrel finish and synthetic stock. Also available as a pistol grip.
Dale Purdy
enJOYCEment
2000 28 TE 1800 hrs
Stuart, FL
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

as a ct. resident with a concealed carry permit i have been boarded in ny waters on my ri registered boat. first question is any weapons on board. told them my revolver is in my duffel. they retrieved my gun, removed the cartridges and placed them on my counter in the salon. then went about their safety inspection no further questions about the revolver. don't know what official policy is but i treat my boat as my home and act accordingly.
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Post by jashmen »

special k wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:06 pm as a ct. resident with a concealed carry permit i have been boarded in ny waters on my ri registered boat. first question is any weapons on board. told them my revolver is in my duffel. they retrieved my gun, removed the cartridges and placed them on my counter in the salon. then went about their safety inspection no further questions about the revolver. don't know what official policy is but i treat my boat as my home and act accordingly.
Who boarded you, CG or NY police? I remember a few years ago someone got boarded in NY harbor by NY police. They had guns locked up in a gun safe. Perfectly legal in their state, illegal in NY and they were charged. I think it was someone famous but can't remember.

Return to “General Discussion”