• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Let's talk flooring

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Let's talk flooring

Post by Pitou »

GSSeattle wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:34 pm I did KiwiGrip in a previous 40 year old 'project' boat in the cockpit. It was pretty easy to apply but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. It goes on a lot coarser than other finishes and traps dirt pretty easy. That could have been my level of skill with the roller though. It looked better than the extremely worn surface that was there before, looked professional from a distance (due to me masking it off well and leaving some smooth spots around the hatches and edges for water drainage). Up close you could definitely tell it was a DIY project.

There were also some spots that wore pretty quickly, within a few seasons. It is a pretty soft, rubbery finish. That said, the worn spots were pretty easy to over coat with minimal prep. Would I do KiwiGrip on my Ablin? Likely not...
Interesting .. Good to know about the rubbery surface. The guy in the boat next to me had that result, but again he laid the Kiwi down heavy.

My non-skid is in no way rubbery, but as hard as rock.

Since I last posted, I'm over on the Downeast Boat Forum and that group has a lot of members that are top notch DIY, downeast kit boat builders and professionals. I put in the search Non-skid as well as a search for Kiwi and pages and pages came up from Awlgrip, GripTex, cabosil in gelcoat, Kiwi Grip , TotalBoat, and a number of posts using the Kiwi roller with Awlgrip paint, etc.

There are lots of different directions to go on this subject.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

We installed some cheap indoor/ outdoor carpet in the galley of our A25. Also used a non skid grippy mat under which works great….

But

The carpet itself can be slick depending which dress crocs you are wearing and how broken in they are. This is hazardous on the A25 because the sole/hull rises right at the bottom of the companion way steps. I have to remember which foot I use on the first tread. Properly timed you normally step over the slanted sole section.

You need to pay attention in these small spaces.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

A couple of years ago, one of our dockmates put down Kiwigrip in the cockpit of his 1980-something Silverton. It's on the coarse side and our friend says it tends to trap dirt, but he does like the grippiness of it. He also says he wishes he'd practiced a bit more before jumping into the project. The coating is wearing a bit in spots, and he plans to recoat when it starts bugging him too much.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Thanks to all who responded. I did a couple of 2x2 test runs with Kiwi a couple of years back, and they hardened off well with a nice non-slip hut not too aggressive finish, so I think I'll try it on a couple of smaller sections before going big.

Gotta be better than the 1984 finish which is getting a bit slippery.

What can possibly go wrong??
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “General Discussion”