• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

DIY water maker

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

DIY water maker

Post by Thumper74 »

What are the thoughts between a home made system and a name brand system. Is it even necessary?? It will go in a albin 25. I like the thought of diy…. Cost around $1800…. The name brand is $3,000-$4,500. What say ye??
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: DIY water maker

Post by WillieC »

Under what conditions in an A25 would you need to make water?

We have about 25 gallons of permanent tank storage and carry five gallons in a jug for drinking. The tanks are also potable. We have a saltwater spigot we rarely use, it may be out of service since the foot pump was only single action when last used.

I start thinking about the tank water two weeks out but it’s never below half. The five gallon jug, easy to watch, gets refilled when convenient at docks or it can be hauled ashore easily enough.

Maybe the Bahamas or the ICW may tax the system so a water maker is the only way to go. Not the case up here.
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Post by Thumper74 »

WillieC wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:30 am Under what conditions in an A25 would you need to make water?

We have about 25 gallons of permanent tank storage and carry five gallons in a jug for drinking. The tanks are also potable. We have a saltwater spigot we rarely use, it may be out of service since the foot pump was only single action when last used.

I start thinking about the tank water two weeks out but it’s never below half. The five gallon jug, easy to watch, gets refilled when convenient at docks or it can be hauled ashore easily enough.

Maybe the Bahamas or the ICW may tax the system so a water maker is the only way to go. Not the case up here.

Good thought. Maybe just use water maker money on a good chart plotter and radar. Kinda need those first before a water maker. Yes, my tank is in good standing. So maybe I’ll allocate funds to a different area for the time being???
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Excellent idea! Once you’re on the water for a few days you’ll be better able to categorize needs vs. wants. Unless you have a lot of experience with this size and type of boat.

Also, this all depends on what kind of “boater” you are. For instance, my dad was a putterer, happy as a clam just futzing around. No great need to actually go boating. My boys, now grown men, tell me of whole weeks spent with grandma and grandpa where he was trying to making pneumatic cylinders to raise and lower his ancient Searay outdrive. Same routine over and over again, same results. We lost him to dementia some twenty years ago and maybe these were early warning signs. He was a challenging fellow but I miss him, especially the parts we never had.

Return to “General Discussion”