• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Strange problem, holding tank slowly empties itself..

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Strange problem, holding tank slowly empties itself..

Post by Norseman »

Just confirmed it last night. Had a sneaky suspicion it could be the case, pumpouts seems weird, no resistance or sucking going on. :shock:
Got a red holding tank 90% full LED light in the head area.
To make sure the sensor was working I filled the holing tank with fresh water and let it sit overnight.
The red light was on when I left the boat, off this morning. Raritan said to test the sensor by holding a finger on it.
Red light, it works.
The tank however was empty..
V-valve in Normal position. (In other words, not the pump out position). Sea cock open.
So, the water leaked through the Y valve and out the sea cock.

Anybody else with the same problem?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Re: Strange problem, holding tank slowly empties itself..

Post by Ben423 »

I had this problem on my Beneteau 423. Turned out to be that the Y-valve did not turn all the way to the pump-out position because of a buildup of crud inside it, thus allowing a slow leak overboard. I could have cleaned it out, but replaced it instead.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Ben423 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:36 pm I had this problem on my Beneteau 423. Turned out to be that the Y-valve did not turn all the way to the pump-out position because of a buildup of crud inside it, thus allowing a slow leak overboard. I could have cleaned it out, but replaced it instead.
Hmm, that is weird:
I had the entire sanitary system replaced replaced 6 months ago.
Tank, hoses, valves, head, etc.
Should be no build up, hardly used it, mostly day trips this year, perhaps 10-11 days on the hook.
Been playing with the Y valve today: In the “Pump-Out” position it hardly drains any water at all, but in the “Normal” position the tank will empty itself in about
4-5 hours. (Guessing, never timed it)
My boat has the optional Albin Sanitary System with 2 Y valves, one next to the holding tank, the other one behind a cabinet in the head area.

Looking at the plumbing, from the holding tank to the through hull/sea cock, the waste goes from the bottom of the tank, through the Y-valve, through the macerator and to the sea cock.
In other words, there is NO CHECK VALVES anywhere along the way, so this must be normal then? Nothing wrong with the system if gravity can push the waste out slowly but surely?
Of course I can stop the process by closing the Sea Cock…

(Talked to a Yacht Captain today who rents dock space from me for his private boat, he said the normal position for the Sea Cock is open, he didn’t think waste should leak out.)
:shock:
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

It is slowly dawning on me that the new system is plumbed different: Was the old Albin tank discharge on the top of the tank, with a suction tube to the macerator pump?
OR was the discharge on the bottom of the tank? (Like my new tank, hence it drains by gravity through the impeller on the pump?)
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

My 28's holding tank was discharged from the bottom, no suction tube. Always kept the Y valve to overboard macerator or pump out turned to pump out unless discharging overboard.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Dujazz4
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Boothbay, Maine

Post by Dujazz4 »

This is the first year I do some of the winterization on a 28TE myself. Father-in-law has dropped off at the marina past years. Even though we used the head many times this season, there was nothing to pump out. Sounds familiar. I'll have to troubleshoot next year. Appreciate the comments.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Heard from several folks with similar problems: In a nutshell: Some macerator pumps will slowly leak out the contents of the tank and some won''t.
The previous pump was a Jabsco, I could run with valves open and nothing leaked. The new pump is a Raritan "Smart" pump and it will leak.
No big deal, I closed both valves and will run that way.
(going to the pump-out station I don't have to move the Y-Valve, easy.,)

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”