• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE Outboard conversion.

WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Naples FL

Re: 28TE Outboard conversion.

Post by WD2E1 »

Well i have the transom reinforced enougf to try on the bracket. It is being held by the upper center bolt. I was able to align it. Now I have to mark it in order to drill the rest of the holes. If you try this just rember to drill the holes on the same angle as the transom. 16 deg in this case. Some pictures follow.
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

The bracket is ready to be aligned. Then I have to mark the hole locations, take it off, drill the remaining 21 holes. Apply the sealant and permanently attach it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

Reinforcing the transom inside.
The spaces around the plywood is for the fiberglass to be bonded to the hull. The plywood is tapered so as not to have a 90 deg. Stress point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

I don't know why the picture is inverted. If you click on it it turns over. The plywood has non woven glass strands epoxied between the wood and transom.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

The inversion/misorientation of pix is related to at least the iPhone camera and whether or not one accesses AOG by computer or iPhone. Or whether Jupiter aligns with Mars.

As they say, it's not a bug, it's a feat...no, it's a bug.

Nice work on the transom. That looks hella stout. On to 'glass!
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Post by Jmk2000 »

Very cool project I’ll definitely be following. Keep posing pictures too!
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

20200422_185055_HDR.jpg
Glassing complete except for the gussets. The mounting bolt holes are drilled. She is lifted up and suspended over the trailer. I am painting the hull. Now I am returning the trailer to its original configuration. It was modified for the keel.
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

Now the motor bracket is permanent. 22 ss 1/2-13 thru bolts. With 3M 5200 adhesive caulk. The gussets are fiberglassed in place. I still have to install the 3x3 aluminum angle reinforcing the gussets.
The angle goes from the top outside of the bracket down to the longitudinal strut. Their is a space between the angle and the gussets, so I will glass bed it to the gussets and bolting it thru the longitudinal and the gussets.
Also I am modifying the swim platform to accommodate the bracket
Pictures to follow
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

20200719_115231_HDR_kindlephoto-280112792.jpg
20200719_115304_HDR.jpg
20200719_115241_HDR.jpg
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

I am late in comments on your planned coversion. Do recall thata there were a few 28's built with the inboard/ouboard.
That would be my choice as a kind of compromise. Volvo makes a really fine inboard/outboard that would make the boat a dream.
Howard
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

Thanks for the info Howard.
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

:oops: Ok
Bracket is now painted with 2 coats of Interlux 2000 base primer. Also bottom painted with 2 coats of Krypton ablative paint. The bottom paint is good for aluminum(no copper additive). Also ran a bead of 5200 caulk around the seam. Next is to prep and paint the transom and bracket.
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

20200818_155247_HDR.jpg
20200818_155348_HDR.jpg
johngus
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: amity harbor NY

Post by johngus »

Do you have your platform still that you removed?if so do you want to sell it?
What about having a new fuel tank made and put it where the engine was in the middle of the boat
Would think that would solve you’re weight issue in the stern
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

Hi John
I cut the center 44" out. I am using the 2 outboard pieces to widen the motor mount. I don't know if I actually have a weight problem. By moving the center of gravity back the front weight increases. Also I have a 7 kw onam genset to put in tha location.
Thanks
Bill.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”