• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow pulpit anchor roller and the anchor

Royalllc
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Long Beach

Bow pulpit anchor roller and the anchor

Post by Royalllc »

Where can I get this section of the bow pulpit for Albin 28 flush deck? I just bought this boat and all working fine but the anchor windless. When the windless was removed, 80% of the hole stand side completely rotted inside. I am thinking either install a 1/2” aluminum plate then, install the anchor or replace the whole thing. How can I fix this rotted part, stop from rotting further and fill in missing rotted section inside the hole? Or buy an new one? Where can I get one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Bow pulpit anchor roller and the anchor

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I don’t think your gonna be able to find one. But you can cut the glass off one side. Remove all the bad core (and some of the good) then replace and reglass it. Then once you are done cut the core back from any penetrations and fill with thickened epoxy to prevent it from happening again. It’s gonna be a pretty good sized project.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

A thought. If it’s only a shallow section that’s rotted you may just be able to cut out the bad core through the hole and fill the section with thickened epoxy
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mason Neck, VA

Post by MerryKate »

Royalllc - 100% candidate for a repair job. Not as intimidating as it may seem. The entire pulpit assembly is actually removable, if it makes more sense to unbolt it and take it inside for better access. If you're new to fiberglass repair it's still very doable. Pick up the West System repair manual and read through it. If you're not comfortable DIY, get a professional. Either way it can be rebuilt much stronger and better than it was.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

It’s worth pulling it and strengthen it at the same time. These are pretty weak - my buddy managed to snap his in half while on the anchor in rough seas!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

The work can be done from the top while still leaving the pulpit on the boat, but depending upon your skill level as a DIY'er and how much damage you actually have and as earlier stated, it might be best to get the pulpit off and work from the underside to repair the core and strengthen the pulpit while preserving the topside fiberglass and gelcoat. If you're not comfortable get a fiberglass guy and make sure that they do it correctly.

To get started, remove the aluminum trim piece and the thin starboard under cover to expose the bottom of the pulpit.

Here are a couple of pictures to help you out.
Underside of Pulpit.jpg
Pilpit Removed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

. It’s worth pulling it and strengthen it at the same time. These are pretty weak - my buddy managed to snap his in half while on the anchor in rough seas!
Wow, I thought these were strong pieces, I walk all the up there to attach and/or adjust the snubber line frequently, never heard cracking noises or other warning signs, 220lbs, (100 kg) :shock:
How can I fix this rotted part, stop from rotting further and fill in missing rotted section inside the hole?
Is the whole pulpit cored, or just the part behind the bow..?

Since you windlass is already gone, I would remove the whole piece, take it to a shop (or your shop) turn it upside down and work from there. Remove all wood, fill with epoxy and also strengthen the design as mentioned above. Reinstall with new SS bolts/washers/nuts, then a new windlass to top it off.

I like the Lewmar 700 and the Rocna anchor with 1/4” G4 high test
chain:
image.jpg
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

The pulpit is easily removed, and it's a lot easier to do the repairs indoors. The top layer of our pulpit was only 1/4" thick. We reinforced it with 3/4" marine plywood and glassed it in.

As long as you're installing a new windlass, I recommend installing a short length of PVC pipe at the rode opening to make sure the rode drops smoothly into the anchor locker and doesn't get hung up on the bottom "layer" - see Kevin's photo above labeled Pulpit removed.

bow pulpit-2-04.15.20-1600.jpg
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Royalllc
Mate
Mate

Post by Royalllc »

Pitou wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:18 pm The work can be done from the top while still leaving the pulpit on the boat, but depending upon your skill level as a DIY'er and how much damage you actually have and as earlier stated, it might be best to get the pulpit off and work from the underside to repair the core and strengthen the pulpit while preserving the topside fiberglass and gelcoat. If you're not comfortable get a fiberglass guy and make sure that they do it correctly.

To get started, remove the aluminum trim piece and the thin starboard under cover to expose the bottom of the pulpit.

Here are a couple of pictures to help you out.

Underside of Pulpit.jpg

Pilpit Removed.jpg
Great info. Thank you so much.
Royalllc
Mate
Mate

Post by Royalllc »

Jeremyvmd wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:27 am I don’t think your gonna be able to find one. But you can cut the glass off one side. Remove all the bad core (and some of the good) then replace and reglass it. Then once you are done cut the core back from any penetrations and fill with thickened epoxy to prevent it from happening again. It’s gonna be a pretty good sized project.
I think so. Thank you.
Royalllc
Mate
Mate

Post by Royalllc »

Thank you everyone for the very informative input!

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”