• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE Restoration

Kingarthur
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Southold, NY

28 TE Restoration

Post by Kingarthur »

With all that went on in 2020 time was well spent fishing and boating from the our beloved Albin 28TE we have decided (father and two sons) to give the Albin some much needed TLC as well as upgrades. Although there was thoughts of selling and it was listed a few years ago for a transition to a go fast center console for further runs at faster speeds. We proved that the "King Arthur" was and still is a very good all around north east vessel for fishing, cruising, and entertaining.

So things that have been done already within 2020:

- Custom wrap to mask the faded gel coat (awlgrip was considered but going with the wrap gives us the availability to change it up in a few years for a "fresh" look if desired)
- New Boat Name and Hail Port
- New vacuum flush head
- New Simrad Go7 unit mounted on dash via bracket with transome mount structure scan transducer (works better than expected)
- Blue LED deck cockpit lights
- Led Spreader Lights
- few other engine maintenance things (6lp-ste)

Now with 2020 under wraps and our expectations/goals shifting we are looking to add somethings that have now become more common on boats of this size and accommodate our fishing style.

2021 Upgrade Goals:

-add liferaft for midshore fishing trips (tuna/shark southshore LI)
-epirb (Mounted)
-Additional powertrain monitoring information (EGT, transmission fluid pressure, etc.)
-Fuel level trouble shooting (gauge, sender, gnd?)
-Dash reorganization (new gauges, switches, start stop, keys, etc.)
-New electronics (radar, 12" flush mount display, upgrade sounder)
----Raise radar and tilt for better running performance
----Move/install new thru mount transducer for no drop out at speed (B175M)
----Autopilot if funds allow
-Replace installed underwater lights (bad corrosion/electrolysis on frames - made out of aluminum)
-Upgrade spotlight (unsure of direction here)
- Sea dek install on the main deck and interior floor of cabin

Not sure if it will all get done but moving forward and getting quotes for things as well as trying to plan as best we can to get back in the water by May 1st.

Looking for input on:
- gauge rearrangement & gauge style (goal is to see everything but remove the big bulky housing that is yanmar standard)
- Electronics (leaning towards simrad but have all furuno units circa 2001/2009 (radar/sonar/gps) plus simrad go unit 2020)
-Radar Mounting brackets (custom or off the shelf)
-floodlight / spotlight replacement mounting location(durabrite or other brands?)

Thanks for any input and look forward to sharing some photos when things get completed.
King Arthur 28 TE 300Hp Yanmar
"A bad day on the water is better than a day at work"
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Re: 28 TE Restoration

Post by Jkraft »

Kingarthur wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:34 am With all that went on in 2020 time was well spent fishing and boating from the our beloved Albin 28TE we have decided (father and two sons) to give the Albin some much needed TLC as well as upgrades. Although there was thoughts of selling and it was listed a few years ago for a transition to a go fast center console for further runs at faster speeds. We proved that the "King Arthur" was and still is a very good all around north east vessel for fishing, cruising, and entertaining.

- Custom wrap to mask the faded gel coat (awlgrip was considered but going with the wrap gives us the availability to change it up in a few years for a "fresh" look if desired)
- New vacuum flush head
- New Simrad Go7 unit mounted on dash via bracket with transome mount structure scan transducer (works better than expected)
- Led Spreader Lights

Now with 2020 under wraps and our expectations/goals shifting we are looking to add somethings that have now become more common on boats of this size and accommodate our fishing style.

2021 Upgrade Goals:

-epirb (Mounted)
-Additional powertrain monitoring information (EGT, transmission fluid pressure, etc.)
-Replace installed underwater lights (bad corrosion/electrolysis on frames - made out of aluminum)

Not sure if it will all get done but moving forward and getting quotes for things as well as trying to plan as best we can to get back in the water by May 1st.

Looking for input on:
- gauge rearrangement & gauge style (goal is to see everything but remove the big bulky housing that is yanmar standard)
- Electronics (leaning towards simrad but have all furuno units circa 2001/2009 (radar/sonar/gps) plus simrad go unit 2020)
-floodlight / spotlight replacement mounting location(durabrite or other brands?)

Thanks for any input and look forward to sharing some photos when things get completed.
Sounds like a fun project!

For gauge rearrangement check out new wire marine to possibly make you a new panel and switching

Simrad makes good stuff. I wouldn’t throw too much money at trying to integrate the old furuno equipment due to its age.

For the radar I used a sea scan mount on my old boat and thought it was really nice. It comes in all sorts of configurations and wedge angles.

I personally like durabrite and Stryker. Check out member “mad money”. He had a photo of his boat with the spotlight on the pulpit which would be the best location to reduce bow rail glare

For the flooring be sure to check out aqua traction as well. I just had it done on my 28 and love it
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

For the radar mount, both Seaview and Scanstrut have a lot of good off the shelf options as well
https://www.seaviewglobal.com/
https://www.scanstrut.com/marine/power-boat/mount

If you're going any distance cruising or to the fishing grounds, I'd move the Autopilot further up your list. After having one, I'm not going back. Trolling from the back deck using the autopilot remote is an added bonus.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Kingarthur
Mate
Mate

Post by Kingarthur »

Jkraft wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:42 am
Kingarthur wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:34 am With all that went on in 2020 time was well spent fishing and boating from the our beloved Albin 28TE we have decided (father and two sons) to give the Albin some much needed TLC as well as upgrades. Although there was thoughts of selling and it was listed a few years ago for a transition to a go fast center console for further runs at faster speeds. We proved that the "King Arthur" was and still is a very good all around north east vessel for fishing, cruising, and entertaining.

- New vacuum flush head
- Led Spreader Lights

2021 Upgrade Goals:

-epirb (Mounted)

Looking for input on:

Sounds like a fun project!

For gauge rearrangement check out new wire marine to possibly make you a new panel and switching

Simrad makes good stuff. I wouldn’t throw too much money at trying to integrate the old furuno equipment due to its age.

For the radar I used a sea scan mount on my old boat and thought it was really nice. It comes in all sorts of configurations and wedge angles.

I personally like durabrite and Stryker. Check out member “mad money”. He had a photo of his boat with the spotlight on the pulpit which would be the best location to reduce bow rail glare

For the flooring be sure to check out aqua traction as well. I just had it done on my 28 and love it
Thanks for the input!

Yea i see that none of that will really work with the new electronics so fair enough. The radar i was wondering as many people place them on those scan mounts but didnt know if there was a custom option that might be better!

I am a fan of durabrite as well too. I looked at mad money's set up. Seems like a great Idea. I was wondering how far back on the house you would have to place it as well to get the glare to not be an issue.

I just saw your aqua traction. That came out really well! I am sure you are enjoying it. I placed sea dek on my personal CC and everyone always raves about it when they come aboard for the comfort side of things.

Thanks again.
Kingarthur
Mate
Mate

Post by Kingarthur »

GSSeattle wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:02 pm For the radar mount, both Seaview and Scanstrut have a lot of good off the shelf options as well
https://www.seaviewglobal.com/
https://www.scanstrut.com/marine/power-boat/mount

If you're going any distance cruising or to the fishing grounds, I'd move the Autopilot further up your list. After having one, I'm not going back. Trolling from the back deck using the autopilot remote is an added bonus.
I hear ya on the autopilot. It is a "joint" venture on the upgrades so trying to see if the budget would allow it.....

Lots of fog in our area so our radar set up and our runs are about 1.5 hours each way. Ideally both will be done but at least we can operate with the radar!
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GSSeattle »

For gauge replacement, check with Mac Boring. They make an alarm panel that uses the Yanmar wiring harness so you can keep the alarms and then go with the gauges of your choosing. I also want to replace the stock Yanmar gauge cluster, but it is waaaaay down on the list of priorities.
Greg

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

GSSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:50 pm For gauge replacement, check with Mac Boring. They make an alarm panel that uses the Yanmar wiring harness so you can keep the alarms and then go with the gauges of your choosing. I also want to replace the stock Yanmar gauge cluster, but it is waaaaay down on the list of priorities.
Wow, that is good news!
Do you by any chance know what they charge for the panel?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GSSeattle »

Norseman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:31 pm
GSSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:50 pm For gauge replacement, check with Mac Boring. They make an alarm panel that uses the Yanmar wiring harness so you can keep the alarms and then go with the gauges of your choosing. I also want to replace the stock Yanmar gauge cluster, but it is waaaaay down on the list of priorities.
Wow, that is good news!
Haven't gotten that far, other than poking around the internet and Mac Boring's online PDF catalog (without prices). Like I said, it's way down on the priority list. If you do explore it further, please do update the post :)

Another route would be finding an analog to NMEA 2000 converter and going with the MFD / glass bridge gauges, but that really seems cost prohibitive for what you would gain.
https://seabits.com/monitor-your-engine ... nse-emu-1/
https://actisense.com/products/emu-1-nm ... gine-data/
Greg

GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GSSeattle »

GSSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:56 pm
Wow, that is good news!
Haven't gotten that far, other than poking around the internet and Mac Boring's online PDF catalog (without prices). Like I said, it's way down on the priority list. If you do explore it further, please do update the post :)

Another route would be finding an analog to NMEA 2000 converter and going with the MFD / glass bridge gauges, but that really seems cost prohibitive for what you would gain.
http://dan.mackboring.com/CMFiles/Docs/ ... atalog.pdf

Mack alarm panel for Yanmar twin engine applications.
Design allows use of aftermarket gauges or instrument panel while
retaining all factory alarms, including low oil pressure, high coolant
temperature, low coolant level, low seawater flow, water in fuel,
gear oil & turbo boost. Provides visual & audible alarm. Adapter
harnesses listed below.
Adapter Y-harness connects Yanmar harness to MACK 731 panel.
Provides hook-up via 8 pin rectangular female plug.

MACK 899 - Mack alarm panel for single engine applications. Same function
as MACK 731.
Greg

Kingarthur
Mate
Mate

Post by Kingarthur »

GSSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:01 pm
GSSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:56 pm

Wow, that is good news!

http://dan.mackboring.com/CMFiles/Docs/ ... atalog.pdf

Mack alarm panel for Yanmar twin engine applications.
Design allows use of aftermarket gauges or instrument panel while
retaining all factory alarms, including low oil pressure, high coolant
temperature, low coolant level, low seawater flow, water in fuel,
gear oil & turbo boost. Provides visual & audible alarm. Adapter
harnesses listed below.
Adapter Y-harness connects Yanmar harness to MACK 731 panel.
Provides hook-up via 8 pin rectangular female plug.

MACK 899 - Mack alarm panel for single engine applications. Same function
as MACK 731.
Very cool will check it out. Our whole reason for doing and looking at this is because the space in the dash. Only so much room. Looked at some of the converters like maretron and they look nice but just seems like why have a simple mechanical engine to convert it to digital.....

We probably will end up just removing the gauges from the cluster to use the space better/break up the large area it consumes.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

I need to simplify the panel, and the wiring.. :shock:
864841B8-8F27-4EE7-A506-618AD6E691F3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Yikes, Dag. I thought ours looked bad, but you win by about double.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Nancy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:19 pm Yikes, Dag. I thought ours looked bad, but you win by about double.
Thx, I knew it was good. :mrgreen:
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Would love to see some pics of the wrap?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Kingarthur
Mate
Mate

Post by Kingarthur »

Sisu22 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:17 pm Would love to see some pics of the wrap?
Sisu

Not the best picture but here you go!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”