• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow eye strength for buoy mooring?

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Bow eye strength for buoy mooring?

Post by whwells »

Northstar 2006 Albin 28th has trailer and bow eye. I assume it was installed by
Bellingham Yachts when delivered. There is a Pacific Trailer but it was ordered and shipped later separately.

Have advised elsewhere on this site my plans to moor it this coming season on my
Lake Tahoe buoy. Wondering if anyone has information on the strength of the bow eye as as the sole source for hookup.

Previously had a 25' Cobalt on the buoy and the bow eye worked fine. The Albin is
heavier maybe by a couple thousand pounds. Also previously had a boat moored at Trinidad, CA (that is open ocean harbor) buoys only but that boat had a secondary hookup
on top of the bow for safety.

Any thoughts on whether a typical bow eye will hold the Albin 28 in rough waters.
Lake Tahoe is not like the open ocean but on rare occasions we can get 3' swells
that start on the south side of the lake and work all the way to the north side.

Over the years I have seen a number of boats under 25' get turned sideways with the wind
and swells and roll over. Don't recall one going ashore due to a failed bow eye.

Howard
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Re: Bow eye strength for buoy mooring?

Post by efishnsea »

I think a bridle harness would be a better choice.
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

efishsea: Good advise. Will try to do both with the bridle harness as a back up or maybe together.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I'm with Bob, I'd use a bridle to the bow cleats. That's how and where I've always tied to when on mooring.

Nice to see you back and active, Howard.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Yes, a bow bridle will work well. Had my 28TE secured to my mooing for 15 years, directly in the northwind’s “path” on lake Champlain (with a 60 mile fetch), and she was always secure in the most severe wave heights and periods. Also, you will be able to secure and launch more conveniently since you won’t be reaching down to the eye, especially after returning back in rough seas. Don
Wfmdfm
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Wareham ma

Post by Wfmdfm »

I use the bridle set up. Two 5/8 lines to the mooring chain. You will need to make sure you use a chafe guard thru the bow chocks. Doesn’t take long to chew up your line. It is a requirement with our Harbor Master.
2000 28 TE Yanmar 300 6LP-STE
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Post by Capt Brad »

I also ha e a bridle system too both bow cleats. Mattapoisett is wide open to SE winds and swells and rides fine.
Brad
Capt Brad

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”