• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE, Nav Lights LED Bulbs

carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

28 TE, Nav Lights LED Bulbs

Post by carolmarie »

Early on it was made clear that one could not simply replace an incandescent bulb in a nav light fixture with an LED. According to the USCG, the fixture/LED needed a new certification to be legal. With the advent of all the new LED tech in recent years, does anyone know if there is an LED bulb that can be used in the original nav light fixtures on the 28 TE that would comply with USCG requirements? Thanks,
Don.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: 28 TE, Nav Lights LED Bulbs

Post by Carl »

Had good luck with these

https://www.doctorled.com/
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

Carl:
Thank you for your reply. I’m aware that you can buy LEDs that physically will fit into the original nav fixture in place of the incandescent bulb. The original enclosure/ incandescent bulb combo has the USCG certification. What I’m remembering is that consumers were cautioned not to assume that it is OK to simply substitute a incandescent bulb with an LED (because it “fits”) in a USCG certified light combo. The fixture/bulb combo itself requires certification as a unit.
That’s part of the reason we have seen a multitude of new LED nav lights introduced to the market. Presumably simply replacing the incandescent in an old fixture with an LED does not comply with USCG regs.
So, back to my original question: does anyone have any authoritative info to support that’s it’s OK to replace the incandescent light bulbs n the original 28TE nav lights with LEDs while still maintaining USCG compliance?
Don.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

From Dr LED website:

• 2005 First to use regulated LED bulbs in the marine market.
• 2006 First and only one to obtain USCG COLREG 1972 ABYC 2NM certified LED aftermarket replacement
bulbs for navigation lights.
• 2007 First to use US CREE high-power LEDs in the marine market.
• 2007 First to use warm white LED bulbs in the marine market.
• 2008 First to provide a single high-power bi-color LED chart light for the marine market.
• 2010 The US Navy & USAF specifies the use of Dr. LED’s lights in their boats and specified by the US Federal
Government with National Stock Numbers.
• 2006-2015 First to develop true 1-to-1 LED replacements for 2NM LED bulbs for navigation and interior
lights (BA15, festoon S8.5, BA9S, wedge bases etc.).
• 2016-2017 Developed 1-to-1 28-31mm and 36-44mm festoon LED replacements.
• 2018 Developed 1-to-1 12/24V waterproof G4 LED replacement.
• 2019 Developed 1-to-1 120/240V 5NM P28S LED replacement.
• 2019 Developed 120/240V UL 1598A Marine Vessel LED Lights.
• 2020 Developed 120/240V UL listed marine high pressure sodium light LED replacement.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

Well, OK then.
Seems like a simple change out will be in compliance.
Thanks Carl.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”