• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking at boats to buy - questions

dmairspotter
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Portland, Maine, USA

Looking at boats to buy - questions

Post by dmairspotter »

Hi all

New to forum - looking for any input

Ex sailboaters looking to go power on the Coast o'Maine. Albin 28 has been one of the boats on the list and I have missed a few opportunitys.

We are going to look at an Eastern 27 with dual outboards (2018) that seems pretty expensive. May have a line on an Albin 28 for much less money.

Does anyone have any experience with Easterns or input on the differences between the two boats?

My impression is that the Albin is probably better built and a little more weatherly?

Anyway - all input appreciated.
JMBoone
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: RI

Re: Looking at boats to buy - questions

Post by JMBoone »

Give Ken Hilton at Standish BtYd in Tiverton RI a call, great wealth of knowledge!
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Would not go dual outboards, had a Glacier Bay 27 before the Albin 28TE.
Pain in the butt flushing both motors after every short or long cruise as they are raw water cooled.
Also the 100 hour service was $1,500 versus the $2-300 it cost me to service the Yanmar in the Albin 28TE.
(The Yahama outboards needed a trailer or a shop visit to perform the 100 hour service, hence I needed the dealer to pull the boat for service)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
dmairspotter
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Portland, Maine, USA

Post by dmairspotter »

Thanks for the replies.

Saw the Eastern today. I don't think it's the boat for us.

Lost the Albin I was going to go look at.

We will keep looking.
Kimotee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mattapoisett MA

Post by Kimotee »

We are considering offering our 2009 TE Newport Edition for sale located New Bedford MA. Likely one of the very last built, it was not put into service until 2012 because a Maryland dealer held on to it hoping C&C Marine would restart the line. We are the third owner. Second owner used it part of one season due to health issues, and the boat was laid up 2017-2018 until we purchased in late 2019. In spring 2020 we had Niemiec Marine, New Bedford MA completely go through the boat, check every bit and replace anything suspect. We too are former sailors, and hoped that we'd use the boat more than we have but power boating is just not our thing. It has under 500 hours on the Cummins/Merc engine, new 4D AGM DEKA batteries installed this spring, and well maintained for winter/spring service by Niemiec Marine. All systems work well. Let me know what you think and we can talk further if you are interested. New Highfield CL260 dinghy with 6 HP Tohatsu and trailer also available separately
IMG_2821.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”