• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rotted/Hollow Stringers?

ccboater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Woods Hole, MA

Rotted/Hollow Stringers?

Post by ccboater »

I just had a survey done on a 2001 Albin 28 TE. The surveyor found moisture in the stringers in the engine box with his moisture meter. In the area between the seats there was no moisture, but his percussive testing seemed to indicate they were hollow and he thought the wood may have completely rotted. Further up front and in the stern they were fine. Is this a common issue with the 28TE? I've only seen a couple posts on this forum about rotten stringers on these. Anyone ever had these replaced that would care to share their experience and approximate costs? The boat otherwise seems in good condition. I hate to walk away from it given the current market for these means I probably won't find another anytime soon.

Thanks,
ccboater
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Rotted/Hollow Stringers?

Post by Norseman »

The stringers under the helm seats on my 2001 -28TE have a foam core.
There are a couple of 2” factory made holes in the stringers and I can see the foam, and feel it with my fingers.
Will take a picture later today and post right here.
Pretty sure it is this product: https://www.3accorematerials.com/en/products/airex-foam
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
ccboater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ccboater »

Norseman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:32 am The stringers under the helm seats on my 2001 -28TE have a foam core.
There are a couple of 2” factory made holes in the stringers and I can see the foam, and feel it with my fingers.
Will take a picture later today and post right here.
Pretty sure it is this product: https://www.3accorematerials.com/en/products/airex-foam
Hi Norseman,

Just to confirm, you are referring to the stringers that are located below the hatch between the helm seats? If so, that might explain why he was getting unusual percussive test results in this location. That would be a big relief. Though I'm curious why they are made of a different material here than elsewhere in the boat.

-Scott
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Picture of 2 openings in the stringers for cable runs.
I am 99% sure the core is foam, and most likely the same core goes all the way back.
My boat was built April 2001, if yours is an early 2001, if could have a been a different core material.
As for a price on replacing or repairing the stringers, huge job, guessing no less than $15-$20K, need to lift the engine and reinstall, yard rates are $100/hr and up. Bad news if the stringers are really rotted out.
4EF63D1F-D275-47B1-B97A-5DFE0CE6466F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
ccboater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ccboater »

Norseman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:08 am Picture of 2 openings in the stringers for cable runs.
I am 99% sure the core is foam, and most likely the same core goes all the way back.
My boat was built April 2001, if yours is an early 2001, if could have a been a different core material.
As for a price on replacing or repairing the stringers, huge job, guessing no less than $15-$20K, need to lift the engine and reinstall, yard rates are $100/hr and up. Bad news if the stringers are really rotted out.

4EF63D1F-D275-47B1-B97A-5DFE0CE6466F.jpeg
Hmm - I don't recall seeing cables running through the stringers like that - I think I would have noticed that.

Thanks

-Scott
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Let me see a copy of your survey, perhaps I can help.
(Had 3 A-28TEs surveyed, starting to know these boats pretty good)
My email is csy33 — Comcast.net

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”