• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Stowing a dinghy on Albin 28TE hardtop

BRISWISH
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Middle River, Maryland

Stowing a dinghy on Albin 28TE hardtop

Post by BRISWISH »

Hey all. I'm new and just posted in the new member introduction forum :D . I searched AOG and found a lot of information about davits and dinghy sizes for davits, but haven't found much information on stowing a dinghy on the hardtop. Does anyone stow their dinghy on their hardtop? Pics? Dinghy recommendations?

I am a pretty avid fisherman and don't quite want to explore davits. I measured and see that I am working with 95 inches between the spotlight and stern side of the hardtop under the radar arch. Briefly looked into Takacats and the 260lx model would work, the 300lx is a maybe.

But now I am looking into other dinghy's with inflatable decks or non-ribbed decks. Need something light.

Also, if you stow your dinghy on the hardtop, where do you stow your motor? Thinking I may need to build stand... Don't want to store on the transom door.

Thanks!
Brian
Brian Swisher
2004 Albin 28 Flush Deck w/ 315 Yanmar - "Unleashed"
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Re: Stowing a dinghy on Albin 28TE hardtop

Post by Sisu22 »

We have a 10' Achilles with the hi pressure floor that we store on the hardtop. Nothing fancy, but we don't have a spotlight up there either. Been thinking about a more clever way to get it up on top, which is possible for two adults but a huge pain for only one person.

We store a small outboard in the transom middle storage.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

In this linked thread there are two shots of my LSI260 (air floor) on my 28TE hardtop. Second shot was after I raised the radome with a scanstrut.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8125&hilit=dinghy
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
BRISWISH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BRISWISH »

Thanks @Sisu22 ! I wasn't sure I could fit a 10' up there. I also have a horn attached to the radar arch that I'll likely need to move.

Appreciate the pics @RobS. I came across a steal through a friend. He is selling me a PRU-3 Performance Roll-Up Inflatable dink (used once) with a 2.5hp motor. Similar size to yours. I thought I might have to deflate and inflate each weekend, but looks like I might be able to get away with stowing it on the roof. I have a front spotlight that I don't see in your pics which may be challenging. I'll figure it out next week once I pick up the dink.
Brian Swisher
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

BRISWISH wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:11 pm I have a front spotlight that I don't see in your pics which may be challenging....
I had that spotlight and it fit inside the upside down dinghy without a problem. It also kept the forward end of the dinghy centered from movement..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Post by Mike Monte »

I have been stowing my dingy on my (28TE) hardtop for the past 17 years.
It is a Westmarine "roll-up" with slat bottom.
My fully-inflated dingy is stowed upside down with its stern facing the front of my 28TE.
-I installed two SS eyes near the front of the hardtop that clip to the running lines of the dingy (near the dink's transom).
-The bow of the dingy is secured with a line through/secured to the port/starboard eyes of the dingy and tied to the radar arch.
The bow of my dingy clears the "horn" by about 6"".

It's not the the most "speedo-looking" set up but is very efficient....I just untie/unclip, secure a line, and drop it overboard.
I can haul it myself....but at 62y/o I can see that hauling it in a couple of years may become an issue (gotta hit the gym I guess - lol).
LillianpFD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by LillianpFD »

I sometimes just throw my inflated dingy (9 ft Zodiac fastroller) in my cockpit when i needed to bring it with me but it gets dirty from sitting in the marina as the summer wears on. I've switched to keeping it rolled up and in its' bag and blow it up when i get to my destination. I bought the ryobi high inflater tool that works with my 18V batteries and feel that for a long anchorage or an overnight i can inflate and deflate without too much hassle and only a little lifting. My 8 hp engine just lies in my cockpit on a towel and I only have it on board when i need it. I would have the same issue on space on my roof as i have the searchlight and the horn in the way.
BRISWISH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BRISWISH »

Thanks Mike and Lillian. I purchased a used 8ft inflatable West Marine dingy from a friend. Haven't had the opportunity to try and see how it would fit on the hard top. It starting deflating the first day of use and I blew it up on the water once anchored :(.

Going to see if I can fix the leak and if not, look into other new options.
Brian Swisher

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”