• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Single person docking - 28 vs 31 TE - How difficult?

Wafflemoney
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Ferndale, WA

Single person docking - 28 vs 31 TE - How difficult?

Post by Wafflemoney »

I’m weighing my options and one thing I am teetering on is the size of boat and my abilities to handle it by myself. I have pretty wide open docking space, but there is a bit of current where I dock. I’d like to be able to hop in er and take a run, but if a 31 definitely needs 2 people, this has me thinking… as does the trailerability of the 28.

I know the thrusters help, but if anyone feels confident they’ve dialed in the 31, I’d like to hear it.

Your input is appreciated.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Single person docking - 28 vs 31 TE - How difficult?

Post by Norseman »

Never ran a 31’ Albin, but it should be just as easy as the 28, bow thruster and and all.
(I owned 33’ and 44’ sailboats, sailed them solo now and then, no bow thruster, plan ahead with lines and fenders, all doable.)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Wafflemoney
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Ferndale, WA

Post by Wafflemoney »

Thank you. I was on a 31 and that is a hefty boat. I’m used to the 24-26 range and the 31 is like a tank in the water. Certainly that can be an advantage, but was curious. As with most, it seems, just be set and ready with the gear and all with be fine.

Norseman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:20 pm Never ran a 31’ Albin, but it should be just as easy as the 28, bow thruster and and all.
(I owned 33’ and 44’ sailboats, sailed them solo now and then, no bow thruster, plan ahead with lines and fenders, all doable.)
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Wafflemoney wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:26 pm Thank you. I was on a 31 and that is a hefty boat. I’m used to the 24-26 range and the 31 is like a tank in the water. Certainly that can be an advantage, but was curious. As with most, it seems, just be set and ready with the gear and all with be fine.

Yeah, don’t be intimidated by heft, lighter and smaller boats are more “jumpy”.
Heavier boats can be more stable, but you have to plan ahead, take a lesson or two with a Captain and you are good to go. 8)
Norseman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:20 pm Never ran a 31’ Albin, but it should be just as easy as the 28, bow thruster and and all.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

I run the 28 single handed 90 percent of the time. I also run my dads 36 judge wirh straight inboard and thruster single handed. Both are a breeze. Be smart and plan ahead when approaching a dock and you will do just fine
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

I run my boat quite often by myself and it is not a problem. The boat is docked in a marina that is very tight and requires the boat be backed in between other boats. Once you get to know your boat and how it handles and a little practice it should not be difficult. The hardest part is going around and tying all the lines. I always back half way in and then hook up the spring lines, continue to back up and then hook up the stern lines. The last is to go forward and hook up the bow lines.
49DDAF43-26E9-4965-B960-F224D228DCAB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Single docked my 28 all the time. no biggie... use the prop walk to your advantage.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Have a 31 with twins. Single handed docking piece of cake. Heavier 31 won't be blown in wind as much.
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

Just a point of interest. The boat to the left of me is a 36 foot SeaRay. Interesting how the Albin 31 is as big as the 36 Sea Ray.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

irishwake wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:45 am Just a point of interest. The boat to the left of me is a 36 foot SeaRay. Interesting how the Albin 31 is as big as the 36 Sea Ray.
For sure. The 31 is as big a 31 as you'll find in any make/model. Back in the day at the 2008 Boston Rendezvous John & Marcia on the 31 Joint Venture were surely on the mothership compared to the pups lined up behind her. And the 28 is not a small 28.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I ran my 28 single handed no problem. Current and wind sometimes meant changing my tactics but it was easy. Even my dads 32+2 is pretty simple to single hand. And that boat is much more affected by wind due to the night of the superstructure. The heavier the boat the easier it is to single hand. With the new to me Viking 45 I got it in my slip and the fuel dock solo on only my second time running the boat. Just go slow and it’s not bad

One thing I have done that makes it easier on me is to string a line along the boat and tied to pilings at each end then tie a dropper loop in it. Back the boat in and tie that on. Keeps the boat positioned fore and aft and laterally till I get the rest of the lines on
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by robonurse »

I run my 31 by myself including backing her into the slip while rarely using the thruster. Practice when there is little or no wind and you will get proficient.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”