• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking for Yanmar Mechanic Near Oxnard CA For Mechanical Survey

rhutch98
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco Bay Area

Looking for Yanmar Mechanic Near Oxnard CA For Mechanical Survey

Post by rhutch98 »

I am under contract on an Albin 31 TE with twin Yanmar 6LPs and I am looking for a mechanic around or near Oxnard California to conduct an engine pre-purchase survey. Unfortunately I cannot use Eric Parsons who is regarded highly as he services this boat and it would be a conflict of interest. I have already reached out to Seaboard Marine but they are not interested.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions...
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Re: Looking for Yanmar Mechanic Near Oxnard CA For Mechanical Survey

Post by Jkraft »

Since nobody has responded to you, I will ask the question.

If the mechanic who normally works on the boat is regarded highly, why not have him preform the survey? Who else to better know the boat, engines, and service history? Are you worried that he would be dishonest or did he say he could not do it as it would be a conflict of interest?

When I bought my boat my preference was to have the mechanic who always serviced it go over the engine. He knew what was deferred, what was recommended, and what was needed right away.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
rhutch98
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rhutch98 »

Jkraft wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:39 am Since nobody has responded to you, I will ask the question.

If the mechanic who normally works on the boat is regarded highly, why not have him preform the survey? Who else to better know the boat, engines, and service history? Are you worried that he would be dishonest or did he say he could not do it as it would be a conflict of interest?

When I bought my boat my preference was to have the mechanic who always serviced it go over the engine. He knew what was deferred, what was recommended, and what was needed right away.
That is a valid question.... With that said, I do have all of the maintenance records and plan to call and talk to Eric about the engines directly. The boat was cared for with an open checkbook so I know that all preventive maintenance has been completed based on Yanmars schedule.

I think it is a good idea to get a third party involved when it comes to the survey as they will be looking at this with fresh eyes and be able to review the work that Eirc has done.

While not completely the same, if you were buying a car from a person who you do not have an existing relationship with, would you utilize their mechanic for inspection or get a third party involved? With that said, I do have a lead on a mechanic that has been recommended by several people and I should know tomorrow if he can do the survey but if anyone has additional recommendations, I would love to get them.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

I have a private guy that might look at it, PM me.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
rhutch98
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rhutch98 »

Sisu22 thanks for the offer. I was able to get someone scheduled, Erith from AAA Marine will be going over the engines and generator.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

rhutch98 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:24 am Sisu22 thanks for the offer. I was able to get someone scheduled, Erith from AAA Marine will be going over the engines and generator.
I've been to his shop with Tony Athens, you are in very good hands.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
rhutch98
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rhutch98 »

Just to follow up on this. Erith conduct the survey today and I spoke with him on the Phone. The engines and generator are in great shape and have been maintained meticulously. Turns out Erith owns an Albin 28. One survey down, one more to go.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

Great, let us know results!
rhutch98
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rhutch98 »

Well she passed all the surveys and was shipped up to the San Francisco Bay area. Unfortunately while at the boat yard waiting for the radar arch to be installed we had a major storm roll through and rip the bimini off the boat which requires some glass work to fix. I expect that she will be ready to go by the end of the week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

The boat looks great! Sorry to hear about your bimini troubles, but looks like an easy fix.

Since you had the radar arch off for transport, do you happen to know the size and thread of the mounting bolts for the arch? My 28 didn't come with an arch but I'm having one made and will be installing it. It looks like my mounting holes were just gel-coated over.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

Very nice boat. Exciting. I'm right here and I didn't see that boat come up for sale... was it private listing?

Also would be interested in knowing your experience with the shipper for future reference if you don't mind sharing...
rhutch98
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rhutch98 »

GSSeattle wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:30 pm The boat looks great! Sorry to hear about your bimini troubles, but looks like an easy fix.

Since you had the radar arch off for transport, do you happen to know the size and thread of the mounting bolts for the arch? My 28 didn't come with an arch but I'm having one made and will be installing it. It looks like my mounting holes were just gel-coated over.
Unfortunately I will be of no help on this question as the boatyards did the removal.
rhutch98
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rhutch98 »

Sisu22 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:40 pm Very nice boat. Exciting. I'm right here and I didn't see that boat come up for sale... was it private listing?

Also would be interested in knowing your experience with the shipper for future reference if you don't mind sharing...
Yes, it was a private sale. The whole process started last winter but fell apart as it was contingent on the owner purchasing another boat, which did not happen at the time. I let him know that if he ever put the boat on the market to let me know as I was very interested. In September I got the cal and I drove down the next day.

The shipper I user was Moger Yacht Transport. They were recommended by the Boat Yard in the Channel Islands (where the boat was prepped for shipping) & KKMI ( the delivery boat yard). I also saw some reviews on various forums. I would highly recommend them, they were reasonably priced and did a stellar job.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”