• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anyone have a trailer?

GrummanPilot
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sarasota

Anyone have a trailer?

Post by GrummanPilot »

Hello all! I live in Sarasota Florida and I am buying an Albin 28 in Maine from my friend. Very excited to get the boat.

My plan to drive it down the coast last month was scuttled by hurricane activity so I would like to get it on a trailer and just bring it down.

I found a few rental businesses in Florida that will rent a trailer but the issue with renting a standard trailer is fitment with the bunks. With the pictures I've seen here in the forum, the trailer bunks for the 28 seem to be quite high to allow the keel and rudder to clear the axles.

I'm curious if an Albin owner with a trailer sitting around would allow me to use their trailer with my F350 Diesel and get the boat and bring it back down. I think $1000 would be a fair payment but I am open to ideas.

Thanks,
Benjamin Siff
941- two eight four -two two four zero.
Last edited by GrummanPilot on Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scalawag
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Plymouth MA, USA

Re: Anyone have a trailer?

Post by Scalawag »

Where are you picking up the boat in Maine? My 28TE is near Portland. If there is something up here that you need let me know.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

Just curious, why not just have a boat transport company haul it down?
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
GrummanPilot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GrummanPilot »

I would definitely pay for the use of the trailer. 1k sounds reasonable but I am willing to negotiate ;-)
Jkraft wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:36 pm Just curious, why not just have a boat transport company haul it down?
They are pretty booked up for the next month because of the end of season. And it would cost about 6500-8000 which would be a shame when I have an F350 diesel and the time to be able to make the trip.
Scalawag wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:32 pm Where are you picking up the boat in Maine? My 28TE is near Portland. If there is something up here that you need let me know.
Thanks for the offer! It is near Isleboro Maine. The ferry leaves from Lincolnville.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

GrummanPilot wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:27 am I would definitely pay for the use of the trailer. 1k sounds reasonable but I am willing to negotiate ;-)
Jkraft wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:36 pm Just curious, why not just have a boat transport company haul it down?
They are pretty booked up for the next month because of the end of season. And it would cost about 6500-8000 which would be a shame when I have an F350 diesel and the time to be able to make the trip.
Scalawag wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:32 pm Where are you picking up the boat in Maine? My 28TE is near Portland. If there is something up here that you need let me know.
Thanks for the offer! It is near Isleboro Maine. The ferry leaves from Lincolnville.
So, I am not trying to say its not do-able but you are looking to rent someone's trailer which is worth about $8,000 +/- and take it on a 3500 mile round trip. You are also assuming that this is a brand new trailer with new wheel bearings, working lights, new tires, at least two spares for a trip like that, not to mention good brakes.. And you plan on spending $1,000 to do it. Will you plan on replacing any bad bearings when you return it? What about wear and tear? What if something happens to the trailer? Who is liable? Even if your insurance company were to cut you a check for the value of the trailer, the person who you borrowed it from would now have to fork over the cost of a new trailer. I am not even confident that your insurance would cover it if you don't own it.

The whole thing sounds risky to me, not trying to be the bearer of bad news. If I were in your position I would probably look to get a trailer ordered for it and haul it back yourself and sell it when you are finished with it. I don't think it will lose much value. There is a reason the haulers charge that amount but I respect you wanting to do it yourself too.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Toolmanbob1993
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston

Post by Toolmanbob1993 »

Shop around on the haulers,we got some crazy estimates for a 500 mile haul.
2000 28 TE “Slow Ride”
GrummanPilot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GrummanPilot »

Jkraft wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:25 pm

You are also assuming that this is a brand new trailer with new wheel bearings, working lights, new tires, at least two spares for a trip like that, not to mention good brakes.
I get what you're saying but I don't need a brand new trailer with new bearings or tires or anything like that. I just need a serviceable trailer that's safe to use. A well-made trailer for an Albin will last tens of thousands of miles. The only real wear items are the bearings, tires and greasing the axles. It's a trailer, not super complicated stuff.

I'm an experienced boat and airplane owner who treats things with respect. I would write up a short contract explaining my responsibilities like replacing a blown out tire or wheel bearing. I can give a large deposit and would exclude the trailer owner from any and all liability. If I broke something I would certainly make it right, I'm not trying to screw anyone over.

I'm not necessarily settled on the $1,000 fee either. I'd even buy the used trailer if someone wanted to sell it. I'm not locked in to any one thing just looking at options.

I'm sure there's plenty of trailers out there just sitting that don't get used but a few times a year and wanted to see if there was a kind owner out there who would didn't mind making some money.

There are quite a few trailer rental places around me that will rent a triple axle 14k GVWR trailer for 1 week for ~$800-1000 but the thing is the bunks aren't high enough to clear the rudder.

Thanks,

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”