• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Surveyors Fort Lauderdale

msfeldt
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Fort Lauderdale

Surveyors Fort Lauderdale

Post by msfeldt »

Hi everyone. I have to say this forum has been an invaluable source of information. I was turned onto the Albin 28 by friends of mine I met while sailing in the Exumas years ago. It looks like the perfect boat for my weekly fishing in Fort Lauderdale, taking my wife out to dinner, and hopefully some trips to the Bahamas and the Upper Keys.

I looked at my 1st Albin 28 today (1999 300 Yanmar) which appears to be a little behind on maintenance and TLC. It started up right away but had quite a bit of white smoke from the exhaust even after 15 minutes of idling. The owner says it goes away when he brings it up to speed but also said top speed is only 17 knots. Not sure if the white smoke is a red flag or typical. The top speed seems pretty slow. Broker said the valve issue that Yanmar 300's are known for has been fixed.

Before I make an offer I wanted to find out if anyone knows of a good surveyor in the Fort Lauderdale area. In addition to the survey and oil/tranny fluid analysis, do you have a mechanic survey the engine separately or does a surveyor generally cover that in enough detail. I used to have a Yanmar mechanic at Complete Yacht Service in Fort Lauderdale but he sadly has passed away.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Surveyors Fort Lauderdale

Post by Norseman »

Hi Mike.
I have a good surveyor in Fort Lauderdale:
Darrell Brizendine:
https://www.marinesurveysbybrizendine.com/

I have used him about a dozen times the last 23 years, highly recommended
and worth his fee many times over.
(Say hello from me: Dag Hanssen)

Which Albin 28 are you looking at?
Send me a private message if you want.

17 knots is the cruise speed if propped right.
21 knots is about top speed.
I got the same boat and engine, if you do a sea trial, look for wide open throttle RPM at around 4000 +/- 50.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
msfeldt
Swabby
Swabby

Post by msfeldt »

Dag,
Thanks for the referral. Small world, Darrell surveyed my 31 Hunter that I bought from National Liquidators 10 years ago. Was very happy with him.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

msfeldt wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:44 pm Dag,
Thanks for the referral. Small world, Darrell surveyed my 31 Hunter that I bought from National Liquidators 10 years ago. Was very happy with him.
Cool.
He surveyed 2 Albin 28TEs for me, one that I didn't buy, too far gone with no maintenance.
(Maybe the same you are looking at?)
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Reached my limit for private messages: Max 40 and my mailbox is full.
If you tried to send any more messages, I didn't get them and have no idea how to empty the inbox. Poked around a bit hoping to find a delete/empty button, but no cigar.
Lets keep in tough about the -28TE you are eyeballing, on email.
I am on csy33 a-t Comcastdotnet.

Love my Albin 28TE btw, great for the Keys and the Bahamas and local bar hoping, etc.
msfeldt
Swabby
Swabby

Post by msfeldt »

No worries. Waiting to hear back from the broker to get copies of maintenance records. I'll reach out to you through email once I hear back. Thanks again for all your help.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Dag, to delete private messages, click the checkbox at the right side of each one you want to delete. Then scroll to the bottom. Drop down the "Mark/Unmark" box, select "Delete Marked". Then select "Go".
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Nancy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:36 pm Dag, to delete private messages, click the checkbox at the right side of each one you want to delete. Then scroll to the bottom. Drop down the "Mark/Unmark" box, select "Delete Marked". Then select "Go".
Ok, thx Nancy.
Will give it a try
:shock:

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”