• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

31 TE twin engine maintenance access

REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

31 TE twin engine maintenance access

Post by REBMystic »

Hi folks. In a few weeks I will be taking delivery of a new to me 2001 Albin 31 TE. It has twin engines and they will need some work. When I toured the boat I didn't spend too much time around the engines and am wondering how easy / hard it is to do maintenance in place. I am pretty sure they need new injectors and valve seals & who knows what else. As I wait for it, I am mentally preparing my project plan. :D .
- I saw for the port engine there was a way to get outboard via an opening under the port seat. (I think I can fit thru that??)
- How do you get outboard on the stbd engine? Does the cabinet with the sink need to be dismantled?
- I hope this is not needed at this point, but to pull the engines, are they scooted to the center then lifted out the hatch?

Thanks for any insights you have!

Regards
Rob
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: 31 TE twin engine maintenance access

Post by Pitou »

Outside of starboard engine is serviced through the hatch underfoot at the helm seat and then crawling aft through a bulkhead opening .. not much room.

As far as getting the engines out they will need to moved to center and then lifted. You may also need to remove some of the bolt on components to get them over and centered to get them out .. ie: heat exchanger, aftercooler, etc. Not a lot of room in a twin screw, 12 ft. beam boat.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Post by gerber30 »

Access for the starboard engines is best made be removing the set off drawers next to the upper sink, next to the upper refrigerator. 4 screws and its out. Then remove the floor panel that was below it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by REBMystic »

Pitou wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:25 pm Outside of starboard engine is serviced through the hatch underfoot at the helm seat and then crawling aft through a bulkhead opening .. not much room.

As far as getting the engines out they will need to moved to center and then lifted. You may also need to remove some of the bolt on components to get them over and centered to get them out .. ie: heat exchanger, aftercooler, etc. Not a lot of room in a twin screw, 12 ft. beam boat.
Hi Kevin. Thanks! I hope not to pull. I will practice by boat yoga....
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by REBMystic »

gerber30 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:13 pm Access for the starboard engines is best made be removing the set off drawers next to the upper sink, next to the upper refrigerator. 4 screws and its out. Then remove the floor panel that was below it.
This is good. Hope the 2001 is the same.

-Rob
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes, WA

Post by Mark Laurnen »

Accessing the transmissions is no picnic either. I love the boat, but engine access is not a selling point. You can check oil levels on both engines from the midline. The port engine has the traditional long dipstick inboard, but that stick is out board on the starboard engine. Many, but apparently not all, of the Yanmar engines also had a stubby oil dipstick which is inboard on the starboard engine. The two dipsticks for each engine seem not to read the same ... best to confirm true full level using the longer dipstick and then mark that level on the stubby for future reference. Im still looking for a cirque du soleil contortionist interested in doing boat maintenance during their off season.
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by REBMystic »

I did not know that about the dip sticks! Let me know how the cirque du soleil contortionist search goes!! 😀
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
Tunateaser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Babylon, NY

Post by Tunateaser »

Hate to ask but, how old are you? If <50 no problem. Im 64, port not too bad. have to be a flexible for the starboard. don't forget to bring everything with you or put it on top of the motor! maybe bring a sandwich! once situated its not too bad. I always get my hip cell phone hung up. but dont want to be in there with out it. I leave it on top of the motor. I used to have a 40' viking (in my 50's) got stuck once and considered calling 911. but then figured I got in here i can get out!
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Express
Hull#223
Twin 315 Yanmar 6lpa-stp
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

:
I used to have a 40' viking (in my 50's) got stuck once and considered calling 911. but then figured I got in here i can get out!
I had a CSY33 sailboat in my 40s and into the deep 50s:
A 14 year love affair until I climbed into a cockpit locker to do something, cleaning, maintenance or just "fixing" something.
Then I got stuck, could not get out, hips and shoulders in the way. Panicked and tried to break arms and legs just to escape and get out but got bruised and beaten instead. Horrible feeling. :shock:

Same on the Albin 28TE, had to climb into the cockpit lockers to service the Yanmar, body too big and boat too small.
No more of that, will hire skinny guys in the future, or just charter boats and let somebody else change oil and filters.
Life is too short to be stuck in a locker, then fight to get out.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”