• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How to dock your Albin

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: How to dock your Albin

Post by jcollins »

Thanks Rob!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

robonurse wrote:Both the Flush Deck and the Engine Box model back to starboard. Handling characteristics are different due to a much smaller rudder on the Flush Deck (take a look at them out of the water at a dealership). Prop torque characteristics are the same though.
Hey Robonurse...

Are you sure about that? My understanding was that the prop rotation on the engine box was "backwards" due to the "reversing transmission" and a left handed propeller and that a Flush Deck, with it's "standard" transmission would turn a right handed propeller, thereby backing to port. I only have actual experience with an engine box, so I hope I haven't been giving out incorrect info!

Just asking! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by robonurse »

I've driven both. Also, check with a dealer. My local dealer is Standish Boatyard in Tiverton RI. He sea trials them every day and will confirm that both vessels back to starboard.
Last edited by robonurse on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

robonurse wrote:I've driven both. Also, check with a dealer. My local dealer is Standish Boatyard in Tiverton RI. He sea trials them every day and will confirm that both vessels back to port.
Interesting. Guess I'd better correct my earlier post. Thanks!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by robonurse »

Ooops, sorry. they back to STARBOARD, (shouldn't post when I'm sleep deprived!).
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

The engine box version has the engine mounted "backwards" and the reversing transmission. The flush deck has the engine mounted normally and a non-reversing transmission. The prop rotation remains the same. For the more common Yanmar 315 engine this means a left hand prop which tends to pull to starboard in reverse. It could be different for other engines that rotate in the opposite direction.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Yes the yanmar engine box and FD 's both turn LH props.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

Great info. I wish I'd heard it explained that well years ago. Thanks from a new member.
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I took a video of Serenity backing into her slip. Since my PC skills are still in the Neanderthal period posting the link is next to impossible. To view this extremely high tech video, go to You Tube, search for Albin 28TE, then backing a 28 Albin into a 11 foot slip. Since the slip is on my port side, I turn the helm slightly to starboard. My experience is the boat walks to Starboard and if I throttle forward it will kick my stern to port. Also on that page, I believe is Home Instead running Shinnecock Inlet. My next video will have music by the Bieb!
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Binford
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Port Orchard, WA

Post by Binford »

Serenity wrote:I took a video of Serenity backing into her slip. Since my PC skills are still in the Neanderthal period posting the link is next to impossible.
This it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYT0Ei1M020
-- Tim Taylor
1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 I/O
1982 Glasply 16' runabout w/ 2-stroke 50hp Mercury O/B
Quiet admirer, and possible future owner, of an Albin 27FC
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Yep. that be her. I saw that link, but I didn't think it was the link.

Thanks and have a beer on us easterners.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Gary J
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Sarasota, Fl

Post by Gary J »

This is all very interesting and informative and confirms what I have gradually learned over the years. In 2004 I ordered a 28 engine box model from the factory and special ordered her with a right hand prop. Sounds like I may have the only Albin out there with a right hand prop. I did this because I had a previous 28 with the standard left hand prop. My slip requires a 360 degree clockwise turn followed by a portside dock. The left hand prop would not do this without laying on the bow thruster. Right hand prop piece of cake in most conditions without much bow thruster. I always try for a port side dock at marinas and fuel dock. These comments here are spot on for me once I reverse the directions for my right hand prop. Thanks to all who posted.
Gary J
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Sarasota, Fl

Post by Gary J »

Oops! I meant to say a 180 degree turn followed by a port side dock.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

with my 2002 28te my reverse "walk" is to starboard. i, personally, have no issues using the thruster. seems some here find it distasteful.

the approach to my slip is tight and i must turn a full 180* right in front of my slot then then back in. i use a lot of thruster on the 180 then slide her in reversing slightly to starboard with a starboard finger. sometimes with a couple more pulses from the thruster.

with the use of my bow thruster i can easily slide into an 11' slip in most conditions. the thruster is a tool needed for tight quarters manuverability in my opinion and i, for one, make good use of it.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I am going to have to give this a go - we dock bow in as its in the direction of the prevailing wind. This means that we are port side to. We should be moving to a new berth which has a bit more room in the coming weeks, but it is on the opposite side to where we are now. Starboard side to if we berth astern but the bow will still be in the direction of the prevailing wind so hopefully the best of both worlds.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”