• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28te Engine noise

Pete
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

28te Engine noise

Post by Pete »

Has anyone upgraded their soundproofing.?My 1996 28te has what looks like 1/2"-1"lead/foam sound down type ins in pretty much all the accessible areas, engine box, bulkheads,My Penninsular can get a bit noisey at high Rpms, looking to see if anyone has has success in quieting the beast, would changing it to 2" make that much difference?
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bridgeport CT (Miamogue)

Re: 28te Engine noise

Post by Neil »

I just had this conversation with my boat builder friend. He looked at our 97 28TE and said we were lucky to have the lead. It is an excellent noise damper and is not used any more. You might want to chat with a sound engineer before changing. I talked with one about killing the noise from my air compressor in my cabinetshop and he was preaching about mass. So I guess that lines up with the thinking on the lead.
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Thanks, I'm not obsessing over it, but always looking to improve the experience while out on the boat,I'm glad the lead is considered to be a good product to already have,
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

After three seasons I guess I'm used to the engine and it doesn't smoke or drink at all!
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Pedro - is the space between the forward end of the engine and the bilge below the helm well sealed? I found that closing that up on our 28 really helped.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

How do you mean well sealed? The main deck hatch has the lead soundown, the bulkhead to cabin has 1" sound down, I'll check the bottom of the deck for sound down,what other ways would it be sealed? Thanks
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

By sealed I mean just that - "sealed". If you drop your head into the forward area (between the helm seats) and you can see into the engine space, well, an amazing volume of sound will get through there. Making sure all of the bulkhead openings are tightly closed and then caulking or taping the seams will really help.

Have you ever been in a recording studio or a gun range? The door into the "noisy" side is always gasketed and closed off on all four sides. The big, heavy door helps, but even a small opening lets a lot of sound through.

When we first got our 28 I removed the little wooden hatch that gave access to the forward side of the engine and left it out thinking the access was handy. Didn't realize until later how much noise came through and up through the deck, even with the Sound down that was there. Closed it up and taped off the seams. Made a huge difference.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

I'll take a photo of my engine space, it seems like mine is more open than yours was,I have no bulkhead in front of the engine,
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Seems like not all 28s have the bulkhead or at the very least some had them removed by a PO. Mine has the bulkhead with soundproofing although I have run it with the middle panel out and didn't feel like it was any louder...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Jeremy, Can you send me a pic of your bulkhead sometime?I hope the repower is moving along,
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Im actually leaving now to go test fit the rear bulkhead on the boat (the one behind the tank), so I will do my best to remember!
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

FYI, I added an overflow jug for the coolant (on the rear bulkhead)starboard side,not sure if the new engine will come with those improvements or not,
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I beleive it does, im planning on bugging matt tomorrow about my motor, see where we are. Just approved the fuel tank today so I should have that in a week. And making the bulkhead/fuel filter mount right now (needs to be changed slightly). Anyway back to the topic at hand. Here are the shots of the fwd bulkhead, please note that the center peice has been removed (they had it up at the shop and honestly I was too lazy to put it back in for the pic...sorry:/). You will note that on the port side there are some gaps which is prob why I didn't notice a difference with the bulkhead in and out. Something im gonna work on this winter...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Doug is right that a lot of sound can come forward to the helm area. I do have a bulkhead with a door and with soundproofing. The door doesn't shut 100% because of mechanics moving it over the years. What I haven't done is to put soundproofing on the inside of the hatch between the captain's chair and first mate's. Has anyone done that? Does it help?
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea my boat has soundproofing on the hatch between the seats

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”