• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Radar arch removal...

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Radar arch removal...

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Just so im prepared for this weekend, im gonna be removing the radar arch to re-run wires and rebed the arch. Is the arch just screwed into the fiberglass, or are there nuts bedded into the glass? When I had the side panel off indidn't see any nuts on the inside so I wasn't sure...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Re: Radar arch removal...

Post by Robb »

My 1996 has the bolts threaded into a tapped aluminum plate that is embedded in the fiberglass.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Good luck and post your progress with some pics. I've heard this can be a real PITA but all second hand as I've never done it. You might be taking the gelcoat with it. I guess it all depends who was on "radar arch install duty" that day and what goop was laying around within arms reach. Maybe you'll get lucky and it was a Friday late afternoon almost quitting time install...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I'm hoping that it comes off easy as the sealant is from 98. Hopefully it degraded a bit with time. Thanks for the heads up tho. I hate when they put stainless hardware into aluminum plates, allways makes lif more interesting than it needs to be...sigh
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

My arch was bolted into something embedded below the hard top and contained within the wall. I am not sure if they were nuts or a metal plate. Nonetheless, the bolts came out easily, without stripping or binding.

As for the sealant, I don't think you'll have any problem. Mine was barely holding. It seemed like 4200. I just leaned the arch forward, and the sealant let go no problem. Hopefully yours isn't 5200. If it is, look for a product called Debond. It works wonders.

Good luck.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Good to know, my sealant is falling apart im not even sure it's really sealing anymore!
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Radar arch came off easy. One bolt had excess sealant in the threads so it took some work to get it out, but other three were easy. Cleaned off the old sealant (looked like clear silicone over 4200 or similar product). Got the new radome and vhf wires run and sealed it all back up...found a great use for expired surgical gloves :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

Glad to see it went well. Sounds like your sealant was in as bad shape as mine.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Thanks im glad I decided to replace the antenna while I had the thing apart. Old one was getting a little ratty and I don't particularly want to do this again (since the sealant will be good this time). Old stuff was so bad the arch almost fell on my head when I took out the last bolt. Thankfully dad and nephew were holding it.
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

Reviving an old thread. Does anyone know the size and thread for the bolts used to attach the radar arch? My 28 did not come with an arch, but I'm having one fabricated. It looks like the nuts or threaded plate was glassed in at the factory and then gelcoated over. I can sort of see the outline of the mounting points through the gel coat. Looking for the size and thread of the bolt since I'll probably have to re-tap it once I gently drill and dig out most of the gel coat over the mounting holes.

Thanks,
Greg
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”