• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New galley dish rack

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Apollo Beach, FL

New galley dish rack

Post by Rondo »

Built a new shelf unit to hold glasses plus a few plates. Can't really tell from the front view, but the plates slip through a cut-out and are held in place by a dowel - you can see the knob to pull the dowel and allow you to remove a plate or all.
Our 35CB is a 2007 model, but we decided to replace both of the fridges. Isotherm now makes a slightly larger unit that fits in the same cutout. It has a much better freezer. Set at number 4 (half way) on the thermostat, it made a small tray of ice cubes in 2 hours. The freezer is at minus 6, and the box is 40 degrees. The efficiency of the new units is impressive. Each fridge draws 1.5 amps @ 12vdc. Also, the new ac/dc units are built in, rather than separate from the fridge.

We also removed the old ice maker and installed a dedicated freezer. It is the Isotherm Classic 63. LOTS of freezer space, now. We think these mods will definitely enhance the comfort for cruising longer time periods.

The old ice maker has gone on to the big bar in the sky, but we have 2 of the Classic 42 fridge/freezers for sale. Both were working fine at take out, as they kept the fridge about 42 degrees, and kept frozen things ok. Contact us if interested. We are in the Tampa, FL area.
Ron and Charma Owens
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Re: New galley dish rack

Post by Ben423 »

Very nice work on the dish rack. Excellent use of space and ingenious design. I'm curious about the fridge. Ours is going on 15 years old and is about ready to die and I'd love to replace it with a more efficient unit. What model did you buy?
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rondo »

The pair of original fridge units were Isotherm 42 Cruise Classic. We replaced them with the newer Cruise 49 Classic. It has 7 liters more additional space - deeper and holds appreciably more 'Stuff", much better freezer space. They fit the same cutouts, but are a bit deeper front to back. It is a close fit, but went in. It is possible to fit a wood "facing" if need be - this would move the units 3/4" further forward. Ours did not need it. I did make some ventilating holes at the rear of the deck. THis allows the units to draw cooler air from under the drawer unit and the bilge area. THe new units are much colder and hold more. We caught a big sale at West Marine, and both units were a bit over a boat unit at $1230. Delivered to our local store. There was some fussing about, but this was not a difficult install. Good luck
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rondo »

Sorry, I got the electrical wrong. The unit draws 2.5 amps at 12 volts, 1.25 at 24vdc, which is what the dc converter supplies when you have ac power available.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

I really like that shelf unit, Ron. Do you have any sketches or dimensions that you'd be willing to share? What kind of wood did you use?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rondo »

Sorry for the slow response, it's been a little busy ,here. I made the rack out of cherry to match in existing interior bright work. The back is a major part of the structure, so I used multi ply plywood known as "Baltic Birch". I faced it with cherry veneer, to match the cherry on board.
It required making a pattern, so dimensions would be hard to separate. I just measured the distance from the frame on the fore cabin door at several locations. I taped vellum to the edge of the frame, then traced the pattern by pressing it into the contour of the hull side. Ours is padded and upholstered, so I did not press things tight, just a bit snug. I then transferred the shape to plywood and laid out the shelf locations after measuring dishes, cups, etc. Once I decided where the shelves need to be, I fastened the shelves in place by screwing from the back side of the ply. The solid cherry end piece adds a lot of strength. It was strong enough to hold the shelves, as the things we place there are not very heavy. 4 plates, a few cups and things. If guests are coming we keep a few stowed away. What is up there are things we use most every day.
At the risk of patting myself on the back, the best idea I had was that I cut out a tall skinny hole alongside the plates. This allows you to remove one plate at a time without unloading things in front of the. There is a wooden pin that slips into a hole to keep the plates from sneaking out, and rubber door stop drops in to keep the rattles away.
I hope you find this helpful.

I see you located a 35 CB, congrats.

Ron
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rondo »

I can send some pics if you like, or contact me directly.
Ron
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Hi Ron -- that's very helpful, and you deserve to pat yourself on the back! I'd love to see some photos. Is it easier for you to post here or to email?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rondo »

Email, please. I recall getting a note from you some time ago. I will also try to do some measurements and maybe a sketch. A confession is that after my corporate career, I did yacht carpentry for some years. People used to bring boats to me from Ft. Lauderdale for remodel. Largest was a 74 footer that I spent months doing. My father was a tool & die maker and I grew up in a shop. The woodworking seemed natural, and I knew a fair bit about boats, (I've had a Master's ticket since 1984) dso the migration was easy. I worked alone as qualified help was simply not available. I;ll look for a note from you.
We just got our 35CB out of the yard after 8 weeks hassling over a bottom job. By "just" I mean 3 days ago. If there is a dirtier place to keep a boat than a boat yard, I don't know about ii. SO - we have been cleaning, and cleaning, and cleaning again. August in Florida has it's challenges when working outside.

By the way, I don't think this project is beyond the ability of a moderately skilled wood worker. There are no "tricky" joints or secrets, everything is attached to the back and the end piece. Great strength is not necessary, as nothing too heavy is placed there. Important things are the use of cherry wood and veneers to match the interior trim. I will tell you the stain and finish to make it match.

Ron

Ron
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Thanks, Ron. Have just sent email. Sure wish I had your skills...We do know a very good finish carpenter/woodworker, and he might be willing to tackle this project.

Oh, man, couldn't agree with you more about how awful it is to have a boat stuck in the yard. I know how great it is to have it floating even if it's dirty.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”