• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Vetus Bow Thruster

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Vetus Bow Thruster

Post by flyboyjack »

Hey folks,
well after a looong layoff for illness and other sundry things,... I'm getting back on the water. After my third time out, the Vetus thruster decided to quit. I have been getting weird power indications at the control panel. Sometimes the light is very dim and then will go full bright. But then when I engage the thruster button, the light either goes out or gets very dim. Batteries have checked 4.0. Then I went out sans the thruster and ran for 3+ hours. Came home and the thruster engaged but was weak. Then it again won't power up at all. I once again went out w/o using the thruster. Came back tried the thruster and it again worked but was very weak and barely moved the bow.. I hired an electrician who said these things are easy to trouble shoot. WRONG! I'm over $300 into trouble shooting and no further upstream than at the start. I've called Vetus to find that I have an all original 1998 model and there are no longer any parts for them. They keep telling me it's battery related. Testin says otherwise. I asked about the possibility of replacing with a new unit and they wanted to know the tunnel size. As I'm docked behind our house and in the water, I have no way of finding the info. Anyone out there with a 1998 32+2 who would have this info? (Oh, I can't find any manuals as my wife stored them someplace safe. So I can't help myself here!).
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Vetus Bow Thruster

Post by Nancy »

Someone (not me) should be able to test whether there's adequate power at the thruster motor. The behavior you're describing exactly matches what we experienced some years ago. Pulled the thruster motor, had it rebuilt including new brushes, and voila! All has been good since then.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Sanatee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solomons Island

Post by Sanatee »

Like Nancy, I replaced brushes once and that improved performance. Also make sure the eletrical connections are real tight. Just a little loose and you'll see power drop.
Mike and Carol
1996 32+2 CB "Sanatee"

Solomons Island MD
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Tight and clean. Take them apart, check for creeping corrosion (loose crimps), shine them up. Reassemble and seal. Then replace brushes.
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Apollo Beach, FL

Post by Rondo »

I am fortunate to have a really good starter and alternator repair shop close by. He is a magician with DC motors. Starter & alternator shops are typically small shops owned and operated by people who know DC motors. What you have qualifies. I also use them for windlass motors.
Good luck.
Rondo
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Apollo Beach, FL

Re: Vetus Bow Thruster - update

Post by Rondo »

The last trip, the Vetus showed some of the same symptoms you describe. Vigorous power seemed lacking, and it stopped quickly. I normally only operate in short bursts, but this pooped out early. I removed the motor, took it into the shop and disassembled the motor. The brushes seemed OK - a little burn, but not badly worn. I took an emery strip to the commutator end of the armature and cleaned away all the black. I also made sure that all the mica dividers between the poles were in good shape, with no potential for arcing. Upon re-assembly and install. After checking all connections, It seems all is better. Clearly more thrust. Knowing that brushes are wear parts, I decided to put a set of spares on board. I did track down a new set of brushes from Germany. After some research, it turns out, the motor is a Bosch starter motor. It took four weeks, but the 4 brushes arrived with a conversion cost from Euros, including freight - at USD $21, which is very reasonable. I think in the US the cost was around $165. Even if I take it to the motor shop for replacement, I won't be waiting for parts.
Rondo

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”