• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

wanted replacement/rebuilt engine Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370 HP

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
MeyrickP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stamford CT

wanted replacement/rebuilt engine Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370 HP

Post by MeyrickP »

Hello folks,

I blew my Yanmar 6LYA-STO engine this summer with only 2000 hours. Dropped a valve which broke and subsequently cut up the cylinder(s).
I have excellent mechanic who has tried many fixes but now says the best idea is a replacement or rebuilt engine. Every way is expensive!
But i do own the coolest 2003 Albin 32+2 ever, formerly Blessings from Ft Myers and now Ancora based in Stamford CT. (picture above) so I am determined to find a solution.
A replacement engine may come from a wrecked 32, 35 or 32+2 and does not have to be an exact match. I am told a Cummins could work.
Don't know what other engines originally offered with the 32+2.
Understand that I need an engine from the same era., Ie before the EPA required electrical controls. I don't want to change all the controls.
I understand that when the Yanmar LY engines were new, there were occasional mechanical faults with "dropping" valves.
But after 20 years and 2000 hours, there seems to be no hope of an insurance or warranty claim. Rats!
Please help me out fellow Albineers!
Meyrick Payne, email MPayne@mpiweb.com
Meyrick Payne
Albin 32+2
"Ancora"
Stamford, CT
Ancora St Tropez cushions 052421 (5).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Meyrick Payne
Albin 32+2
"Ancora"
Stamford, CT
Sanatee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solomons Island

Re: wanted replacement/rebuilt engine Yanmar 6LY=STP 370 HP

Post by Sanatee »

Had a similar fate with our 96 Albin 32+2 when a fresh water hose blew, dumped the anti-freeze, and cooked the engine before the poorly situated Cummins temp sensor finally showed an over-heat. Our very good Cummins mechanic said he could rebuild it without much of a guarantee unless the engine was fully measured and spec'd. He recommended a warranted factory recon motor, as a better and probably cheaper alternative because of the labor to rebuild it. We went that route and it has worked well.

If Yanmar has a similar program with rebuilt motors I would go with that. You could switch to another brand, but would have to redo most of your engine controls and guages.
Mike and Carol
1996 32+2 CB "Sanatee"

Solomons Island MD
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: wanted replacement/rebuilt engine Yanmar 6LY=STP 370 HP

Post by Nancy »

We, too, had an engine failure this summer on our 6LYA-STP 370 with 3000 hours. Blew a piston. Catastrophic failure with unknown cause on a well-maintained engine. We considered:

1. Running take-out. Couldn't find one.
2. New replacement, non-EPA, which we were eligible for - and sounds like you are, too. But none immediately available. Timeline was maybe 2023. We didn't trust that.
3. New 6LYA 400 electronic engine. Very pricey - more than we were comfortable with - and we didn't really want electronic anyway.
4. Long block. Yanmar doesn't make them.
5. Rebuild. This is what we did. The work is almost complete, and engine will be installed in the spring.

Tough choices.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”