• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Need info on 1994 Sport Fisher 32 "S" Type

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
reefdrifter
Deckhand
Deckhand

Need info on 1994 Sport Fisher 32 "S" Type

Post by reefdrifter »

Hello All,

I am pretty new to this forum as I have been spending most of my time over at the other Trawler forum. We presently have a 34 Ft. 1983 Marine Trader Double Cabin for sale and I am looking at a 1994 Sport Fisher 32 "S" Type with a Cat 3116, 350 Hp with 1521 hours. I don't know much about the Albins but do think they are well built and have great lines. Does the Sport Fisher 32 have a keel running under the prop and rudder post or is everything hanging out looking for rocks and oyster beds to chew on? Is the Cat 3116 is any good? I don't know what transmission is used but are the "V" drives any good? What should I be looking for on this boat? Your information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Paxton
SW Florida
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Re: Need info on 1994 Sport Fisher 32 "S" Type

Post by Veebyes2 »

Here is my 1996 S type on its way to Bermuda in 1999.

Can't comment on the Cat. Mine has a Cummins. Foot for foot a great boat for a couple who do some extended cruising & want the ability to do a dash of speed.

If the Cat is like the Cummins the V drive is not an issue. Tranny is directly on the back of the engine. No intermediate shaft alignment issues.

found a better pic

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

Bob: sent you an email. If you did not receive, please send me your email address. Jim at "jprohan1@yahoo.com"
ctlionsden
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ctlionsden »

Welcome, Bob,
Before buying our 32CB/SF, I was looking at Bertrams. I was told there were problems with some of the 3116 Cats. You might want to check out Boatdiesel.com as a source for info on everything diesel. Post your question there. Also check out Caterpillar Online Community & Blogs, and others if you run a Google search for Caterpillar forums. Check out Bertram and some of the trawler manufacturer forums.
If you think you'd like to buy the boat, definitely get a local diesel mech (preferably with Cat experience) to do a thorough inspection, complete with boost and compression readings. By the way, have you been on the boat with a warmed-up engine and run it under reasonably full-load conditions? Much blue smoke? Any heavy smoke on start-up? Note oil pressure and temp readings at cruising speed for later discussion with an expert. Also ask to see any service logs kept by the owner to document oil changes, parts replacements, etc.
I guess my last comment might be just to keep an eye out for another Albin with Cummins or Yanmar power, since both have been popular with Albin owners. Best of luck finding your "dreamboat". We love ours!
By the way, a heavy metal skeg extends from the keel to join the rudder post several inches below the prop.
BlackWidow
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Hoopers Island, MD

Post by BlackWidow »

I have owned one since 1994. And mine has a CAT 3116. Please email me at blackwaterllc AT hotmail.com for more info. I have tales to tell.

Jim Burton,
"BLACK WIDOW"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

BlackWidow wrote:I have owned one since 1994. And mine has a CAT 3116. Please email me at blackwaterllc AT hotmail.com for more info. I have tales to tell.

Jim Burton,
"BLACK WIDOW"
Jim,
Is this you?

Whenever someone says "I have tales to tell" it makes me think there is something to share? :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

If it is a 94, it likely has a "close coupled reversing transmission". Like Doug said, it it bolted directly onto the engine and is the same mechanically as a regular transmission. It simple has one gear reversed to reverse the direction of the output.

Conversely, a "V-Drive" would have a jackshaft coming out of the front of the engine to a separate unit that reverses the direction of the output. On the 32, the jackshaft was several feet long, so it should be easy to tell which the boat has. V-Drives were a little bit fussy with regard to alignment issues.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
mprice85
Mate
Mate
Home Port: South Kingstown RI

Post by mprice85 »

Hi! New here and looking at a ‘94 32+2 with the 3116 Cat. Wanted to ask about any known issues with these boats that should have or will in the future be addressed. Also looking for a surveyor in the CT area with experience with the boat.

Thanks!!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

mprice85 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:58 am Hi! New here and looking at a ‘94 32+2 with the 3116 Cat. Wanted to ask about any known issues with these boats that should have or will in the future be addressed. Also looking for a surveyor in the CT area with experience with the boat.

Thanks!!
Hi MPrice,
Welcome to AOG. Consider starting a new topic with your questions rather than replying to old posts. This one is from 2012.

Thanks for understanding.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”